Take the next step in your career with a master’s in Applied Information Technology. Become a leader who can integrate business expertise with knowledge of information management systems.
Coordinator: Dr. Boxiang Dong
Credit Hours: 33 | Courses
The Online Master of Science in Information Technology with a concentration in Applied Information Technology (Professional Science Master’s) is an innovative graduate degree providing advanced training in the study, design, development, implementation, testing and support of applications of computing and communication technologies. The Applied IT concentration provides learners an enterprise perspective that focuses on the management and implementation of information technology to support today’s business, industry or government work environments. Students will learn how communications, management, legal considerations and other workplace skills highly valued by employers are integrated with information technology to facilitate successful application of technology in an organization.
Build your communications, IT project management and business management skills as you learn from accomplished faculty who bring strong academic reputations to the classroom.
- All coursework can be completed online.
- Course content and course schedules are geared toward working professionals.
- Industry-related coursework integrates information technology knowledge with highly valued business and leadership skills.
- IT skills courses are modeled after the ACM and IEEE IT industry standards.
- Accomplished faculty bring strong academic reputations and real world experience to the classroom.
- Industry internship (vs. thesis) provides connections to potential employers.
- Nationally certified PSM program developed with the innovative National Professional Science Master’s Association Science Plus curriculum structure.
- Full access to student support services including online library resources, Tier II technical support, and career advisement.
Flexible program format
The online master’s degree in Applied Information Technology is designed for students with undergraduate degrees and/or working experience in computer science, mathematics, science or engineering who want to gain a managerial perspective of how to implement technology in an organization.
- Students who wish to make a career change and have limited or no background in computer science and/or information technology will be accepted under the condition of bridging the gap through a program of study that will require anywhere from one to four courses in computer science fundamentals.
Computing technology bootcamp or bridge courses are offered online during eight week sessions prior to the start of the program.
Along with the Online Information Technology, Applied IT degree, the department also offers a 4-course, Online Graduate Certificate in Computing Technology which provides basic foundational knowledge in the field of computer science and information technology. The certificate provides a standalone credential for career-building and advancement opportunities.
Students will learn the fundamentals of computer software programming and computer hardware, as well as, discrete mathematics and data structures and algorithms.
- CSIT-501: Java Programming
- CSIT-502: Computer Systems Principles
- CSIT-503: Data Structures
- CSIT-504: Discrete Mathematics in Computing
The most recent US Bureau of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook anticipates increasing demand for training information technology specialists, which include individuals trained to manage, create or utilize computer systems and networks, software and databases.
Additionally, given changes in the underlying way organizations obtain talent and the rate at which organizations need to implement solutions, there is an increasing dependence on bootcamps to provide very specific technology talent and demand for a DevOps and agile operations skill set. The Applied IT concentration develops leaders who can manage the many facets associated with the implementation of information technology solutions.
Information Technology professionals are employed as:
- Applications Engineers
- Computer Systems Engineers
- Computer Support Specialists
- Cyber Security Analysts
- Database Administrators
- Information Technology Security Analysts
- IT Project Managers
- Java Software Developers
- Network Engineer/Architects
- Software Developers
- Solutions Architects
- Systems Analysts
- Technical Analysts
- Web Developers