Montclair State University’s Mandatory Requirements
Additional mandatory immunizations for residential students are listed below.
Measles: Two doses of a live measles-containing vaccine, or any vaccine combination containing live measles vaccine that was administered after 1968.
Mumps: Two doses of live mumps virus vaccine, or any vaccine combination containing live mumps virus vaccine on or after the student’s first birthday.
Rubella: One dose of live rubella virus vaccine, or any vaccine combination containing live rubella virus vaccine on or after the student’s first birthday.
Hepatitis B: (full time Undergraduate and Graduate students only): Three doses of hepatitis B virus vaccine, or any vaccine combination containing hepatitis B vaccine or approved two-dose regimen.
Documented laboratory evidence of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella or hepatitis B may be submitted in place of above vaccines.
Exemptions to the above Immunization Requirements
- Students born before 1957 (does not apply to hepatitis B requirements).
- Certain medical conditions in which immunizations pose a health risk.
- Clearly proscribed and documented religious exclusions.
- Students enrolled in a program for which students do not congregate on campus at any time, whether for classes or to participate in institution-sponsored events (home study, distance learning).
Should an infectious disease outbreak occur, the University may require students without documented evidence of immunity to stay away from the campus until the outbreak is over.
In addition to meeting the above requirements, all students intending to reside in any university housing facility must submit evidence of immunization for:
Meningitis: One dose of meningococcal conjugate (Menactra or Menveo) meningitis vaccine on or after the 16th birthday.
- Fall Entry
- General Requirements: May 15
- Residential Requirements: May 15
- Spring Entry
- Due two weeks after enrollment and/or housing deposit submission
Failure to comply with requirements and deadlines will prevent course registration and/or housing eligibility.
Returning students are not required to resubmit immunization documents.