The lights in a row outside of the School of Nursing.

Frequently Asked Questions

For Students

1. Is my medical information confidential?

A:  Your medical information is confidential. If you are 18 years of age or over, your medical information will not be shared with anyone, including parents, guardians, professors and other healthcare providers, unless you provide your consent. If you sign a consent to release medical information, it will be specific to the person you wish us to speak with and to that incident. For example, if you have strep and you wish us to correspond with your parents about it, we will never share unrelated medical information during our correspondence.

2. How do I waive the insurance the school has charged me on my tuition bill?

A:  Please monitor your Montclair State email for the online waiver webpage opening date. For more information please visit the Red Hawk Central webpage

3. Do I have to have the school insurance to use the Student Health Center (SHC)?

A:  You do not need to have the insurance plan provided by the school to use our services. SHC is available to any currently enrolled student, full time or part time, undergraduate or graduate. We ask you to bring a copy of your insurance card when you come to an appointment in the event we need to order services provided outside our facility.

4. What is the cost of the school insurance?

A:  The pricing and other additional information regarding the school insurance can be found at the following link via Red Hawk Central: Insurance information

5. Do I need to make an appointment to be seen or can I just walk in?

 A:  Appointments are preferred. Make an appointment by calling 973-655-4361 so that we can schedule you with an appropriate healthcare provider. Students are usually seen within 24-48 hours of calling for the appointment.

6. I have a private health matter that would cause me great difficulty should my parents see that a claim was submitted to the insurance company. What can I do?

A:  We understand that this may happen from time to time and have built-in mechanisms to handle this for you. Please speak with your provider and/or front desk staff about your specific concerns.

7. Would I be seeing a doctor if I go to the Student Health Center?

A:  Our staff consists of Board Certified Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and a part-time Board-Certified Family Practice Physician. A Nurse Practitioner would most likely see you. Nurse Practitioners can examine, diagnose and treat patients as well as prescribe medications and treatments. One of the Nurse Practitioners specializes in Women’s Health.

8. Can you refer me to a specialist?

A:  To be referred to a specialist, you must first make an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner. The Nurse Practitioner can refer you to a specialist if, after the evaluation, he/she conclude it to be the next best step.

9. How do I find a specialist or a doctor in my personal insurance plan?

A:   Go to the website of your insurance plan. Type in your plan. In the search bar include the zip code and type of specialty you are seeking. Or call the 800 number on the back of your insurance card for assistance.

10. I can’t find my immunization record. Where can I obtain a copy?

A:  Immunization records can be obtained from your primary care provider (pediatrician), high school, another university/college or military records. Any official documentation of vaccines is acceptable (yellow book) etc. Additionally, if you lived in New Jersey while attending school, you may be able to obtain records from the New Jersey Immunization Information System.

11. I cannot register for classes because of my immunization records. Can you lift my hold?

A: Holds are lifted when proper documentation of immunization requirements have been met. You will need to make concrete plans to get the documentation or in some cases the missing immunization doses before the hold can be lifted.

12. Can I get my vaccines at the student health center?

A:  The SHC provides vaccines for a fee, unless you have the University’s Student Health insurance plan and then there is no fee. We do not third party bill so the fee is out of pocket. There are local pharmacies that provide vaccinations on walk-in basis, depending on vaccination needed. You may also make an appointment with your medical provider or a retail pharmacy.

13. Can I get a medical excuse for missed classes?

A: The SHC encourages students to make mature decisions when they are too sick to attend class or complete assignments. It is the student’s responsibility to communicate with their professor(s) about illnesses or reasons for missing class, preferably before the class or exam takes place. Together the faculty and student can work towards a resolution for missed classes, assignments or exams.

The SHC can confirm an appointment but does not issue absence/medical excuse notes.

14. How can I tell if I need counseling?

A:  You can make an appointment at the Counseling and Psychological Services by calling 973-655-5211 or visit one of the many “Let’s Talk” sessions held in multiple places on campus. If you are currently in a situation in which you feel unsafe and on campus, call Campus Police at 973-655-5222 or 911 off campus.

15. I feel sick and the Student Health Center is closed, what can I do?

 A:  There are a few options available to you:

  • If you have a medical or psychological emergency call Campus Police 973-655-5222. University EMS will respond to your call.
  • For a minor illness or minor injury You can call the phone number on the back of your health insurance card, you may be directed to a facility which you can be assured will be covered by your insurance. You may also go to a retail health facility such as CVS Minute Clinic or Immedi-Center.
  • For more serious illnesses or injuries, you may consider going to a local hospital. Below are a few options:

            Mountainside Medical Center – Montclair, NJ

            St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center – Paterson, NJ

            St. Barnabas Medical Center – Livingston, NJ

            The Valley Hospital – Ridgewood, NJ

            Hackensack University Medical Center – Hackensack, NJ

  • Assumption of Costs: If using the above or other facilities the University will not assume financial responsibility. The student and/or family are responsible for all associated costs, which may be paid by insurance or personal funds.

16. I need regular blood tests because of medication I am taking. Can you draw my blood?

A:  No, SHC is not a licensed laboratory draw site and cannot accept a prescription from a community medical provider. You must check with your medical insurance carrier as to which laboratory is covered under your plan and make an appointment at their draw site.

17. My doctor has ordered Physical Therapy for me. Can I get that on campus?

A:  Parabolic Performance and Rehab has an office on campus. Call 973-509-9800 to inquire about your insurance coverage for this facility.

18. I take allergy shots. Can I get then in the Health Center?

A:  The SHC provides this service. Please contact the SHC at 973-655-4361 to make appointments.   

19. Are there any medications that the Health Center gives to students free of charge?

A: Yes, in the Health Center there is a “Self Help” section where common over-the-counter medications (Tylenol aka acetaminophen, Advil aka ibuprofen etc) and condoms are free of charge. Please limit the amount that you take to three of each one that you need in order to allow other students access to the medications.

20. Can the student health center store my medications?

A: We are unable to store personal medications for students.

21. How can I pay for the out of pocket costs that I have from my visit?

A: Most visits do not have any costs. Any charges will be placed on your NEST account and you can pay the bill online.

22. Do I have to come in person to submit my immunization documents?

A: All of your immunization documents are submitted electronically. You can find instructions for submission of immunization documents by clicking on the tab marked “Immunizations” on our website.

23. Are the immunizations that are required new immunizations that I have to get because I am in college?

A: No, you most likely received the required immunizations in childhood, you just need to submit proof of receiving them. If you are unable to locate your records, (and you were vaccinated) you can get a blood test.

24. Do I need my insurance card to be seen at the Health Center?

A: Yes, please bring your insurance card with you at every visit.

25. How do I know if my symptoms warrant a visit to the Health Center?

A: If you are not feeling well and believe you may require medical care, you are always welcome to call the Health Center or stop in to make an appointment to see one of our practitioners. It is better to be assessed by a trained provider if you are concerned with how you are feeling rather than wait and have a medical condition possibly worsen.

26. Can you fax my immunization records to me?

A: Our policy is to mail your documents or you can pick up a copy at our office.

Frequently Asked Questions about Contraception (Birth Control)

1. What forms of birth control exist and can I receive them at the Student Health Center (SHC)?

A: There are many different forms of birth control/contraception. These forms include a hormonal patch, birth control pills/oral contraception, emergency contraception (EC), contraceptive injections, an Intrauterine Device (IUD), Nexplanon contraceptive arm implant, vaginal ring, male condom, female condom, spermicides, and diaphragms. You are welcome to make an appointment at the Health Center at any time to discuss the different options and see what form would best meet your needs. A provider here can either prescribe your desired form of contraception or can refer you to another provider or facility that would better assist you.

2. Do I still have to use condoms if I am using hormonal contraception?

A: Yes, condoms should still be used every single time you are sexually active. Condoms are the only form of protection against Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and are approximately 97% effective (when used consistently and correctly). In terms of pregnancy prevention, it is especially important to use condoms during the first 7 days after you begin using hormonal contraception.

3. When should I take my birth control pill?

A: Your pill should be taken around the same time daily. It helps to schedule this around something you do at the same time every day, such as brushing your teeth or going to bed. We also recommend you set a daily phone alarm to remind yourself to take your pill.

4. Do I have to return to the Health Center after receiving my initial contraception prescription?

A: Once you are prescribed birth control for the first time by a SHC provider, please schedule an appointment to return after 3 months for a repeat blood pressure check and to discuss how your current method of contraception is working for you. We recommend returning approximately 1 week before you are due for a medication refill for your revisit. After your 3-month revisit, how often you have to return for follow up visits in order to continue your birth control method of choice will be at the discretion of your prescribing provider.

5. What do I do if I miss one (1) pill?

A: Take the missed pill as soon as you remember. Then take your next pill at the scheduled time. A backup form of contraception is recommended for seven (7) days if you were late with taking your pill for 12 hours or more. It is common to have some spotting or a light flow after skipped pills.

6. When do I do if I miss two (2) pills in a row?

A: Take 2 pills as soon as possible when you remember, then take two (2) pills again the following day. After that, return to your one pill per day routine. It is common to have some spotting or a light flow after skipped pills.

7. When do I do if I miss three (3) pills in a row?

A: Throw your current pack of birth control away and start a new pack. It is common to have some spotting or a light flow after skipped pills.

8. Does hormonal contraception provide protection against STIs?

A: No, the only way to help prevent STIs, aside from abstinence, is condom use. Condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are approximately 97% effective in preventing STIs and pregnancy.

9. Can I smoke cigarettes, vape, or use any other form of tobacco products if I am using hormonal contraception?

A: Tobacco use significantly increases your risks of serious vascular problems, such as blood clots and cardiovascular disease, when using hormonal birth control. This is especially true if you smoke 14 cigarettes or more per day. We strongly discourage the use of tobacco.

10. Are there any signs of complications that I should watch for when taking hormonal contraception?

A: Yes. These can be easily remembered with the pneumonic ACHES. ACHES stands for Abdominal pain, Chest pain especially with cough or shortness of breath, Headache especially if severe, Eye problems such as blurred or loss of vision, and Severe leg pain especially in the thigh or calf. If ANY of these symptoms develop, please immediately call campus EMS at 5222 or 911 or visit your local emergency room.

11. What is emergency contraception (EC)?

A: EC is an FDA approved method used in an attempt to prevent an unplanned pregnancy. It is used after having sex without birth control or with a failed method (i.e condom broke or slipped off). It is not an abortion pill. It works by preventing or delaying the egg from leaving the ovary, being fertilized by the sperm, or attaching to the uterus.

12. How old do I have to be to use emergency contraception?

A: Emergency contraception is available over the counter to women over the age of 17 or by prescription if 16 or younger. You can also make an appointment at the Health Center to receive EC.

13. What if I take emergency contraception when I am already pregnant?

A: Emergency contraception will not work if already pregnant.

14. How soon after unprotected sexual intercourse should I take emergency contraception?

A: The sooner emergency contraception is used, the more effective is will be in helping to prevent pregnancy. The best time to take EC is within 72 hours following unprotected sex.

15. Will my next period be altered following EC use?

A: Your next period may be lighter or heavier. It may also occur earlier or later then what is normal for you.

16. Should I still be concerned that I may have become pregnant even after using EC?

A: While the medication typically works very well, EC is not 100% effective. We recommend taking a pregnancy test if your next period is over one week late.

17. Are there any warning signs following EC use that I should be aware of?

A: If you experience severe pain in your lower abdomen/stomach following EC use, we recommend you call campus EMS at 5222 or 911 or visit your local emergency room. This is especially important if the pain occurs 3 to 4 weeks following EC use. If this occurs, it is important to rule out an ectopic pregnancy, which is a pregnancy outside the uterus.

For Parents

1. What does the health fee cover?

A:  The health fee covers unlimited office visits to the SHC. There may be fees for certain in-house testing or in-house medications.

2. How does my student go about using this service?

A:  It is preferred the student call 973-655-4361 to make an appointment. This helps to reduce wait time and exposure to other illnesses. Our goal is to serve as an on-campus health resource to all students and assist them meeting their health-care needs. Our staff enjoys working with students and are very aware of health issues specific to this age group.

3. Do you have in infirmary where the student can stay if they are sick?

A:  We do not have an infirmary. The SHC provides health services much like a primary   care doctor’s office, such as preventing illness and disease through health education, promoting responsible health habits, and providing cost-effective quality health care.

4. My student had an appointment with you that I would like to discuss. Can I call the healthcare provider who saw them?

A:  If your student is 18 a consent to release medical information must be signed by the student.

5. This is the first time my student will see a new healthcare provider. How should I prepare them for the first visit?

A:  It is important the student disclose their personal health information during the visit. The student will need to be able to identify medication allergies, including reactions to medications; names and doses of medication they might be currently taking; and personal medical history as well as family medical history

6. What are some suggested over-the -counter medications that my student should bring for medical self-care?

  • Fever of pain relief: Acetaminophen of ibuprofen
  • Upset stomach, diarrhea: Tums, Pepto-Bismol
  • Cold and sinus: Dayquil, Nyquil
  • Allergy medication, if needed: Claritin, Zyrtec, Allergra
  • Prescription medication(s) or inhalers in original containers
  • Thermometer
  • Basic first aid supplies: Band-Aids, antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, etc
  • Ace wrap or joint braces, if needed