Health Insurance Waiver & Enrollment Information
- Deadline to waive or enroll: Monday, September 28, 2020
- Waiver to be completed online on the Aetna Waiver website.
- Need Help? Check out our How To Guide
- For further questions call Aetna: 877-480-4161
Students Required to have Health Insurance
The following mandatory students are required to have health insurance that meets University requirements:
- Undergraduate Students enrolled in twelve (12) or more credits.
- Graduate Students enrolled in nine (9) or more credits.
**All Mandatory Students automatically have the cost of the Health Insurance charged to their student account. All Mandatory Students are responsible to submit a health insurance waiver online if they do not want/need to the School Sponsored Health Insurance **
The waiver website opens the week of July 13, 2020.
|Insurance Premium Fall 2020||Coverage Valid 08/15/20 – 08/14/21|
2020-2021 Plan Documents and Benefits
To obtain the terms of your Plan Design and Benefits Summary click on one of the links below. You also can contact Aetna at (800) 481-8814.
Waive or Purchase Your University Health Insurance
Mandatory Students who wish to waive (opt-out) the Health Insurance:
- Montclair State University requires all undergraduate students enrolled in 12 credits or more and graduate students enrolled in 9 credits or more to carry health insurance.
- If you wish to waive the University Health Insurance, you must provide proof of alternative coverage that fully meets all University requirements by completing the online waiver prior to the deadline of Monday, September 28, 2020.
- Copies of your insurance card submitted to the Office of Student Accounts or any other Montclair State University office (i.e. Health and Wellness Center, Athletics Department, etc.) does not constitute a waiver and is not acceptable.
- All waivers must be completed online by Monday, September 28, 2020. (Remember to include the letter “M” before CWID on the waiver form).
- Must successfully submit their online request to waive the Health Insurance every academic year they are mandatory
- Students who do not complete a waiver Monday, September 28, 2020, you will be automatically enrolled in the plan for the full academic year and will be responsible for the full annual cost.
- Late waivers will not be accepted.
- Students who waive their insurance in the fall semester may not enroll in the spring semester semi-annual coverage.
- Students who want to enroll into the Aetna policy after an approved waiver may only do so if they are experiencing a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). For more information please contact Aetna Student Health at (800) 481-8814.
Mandatory students who wish to enroll in the Health Insurance:
- Students are encouraged to enroll in the Health Insurance as soon as possible so they may have access to coverage as early as August 15 when the plan year begins. You may enroll via the Aetna Student Health Website. The enrollment website will open the week of July 13, 2020.
- If you self-enroll in the health insurance plan you are financially responsible for the full amount of the health insurance premium for the duration of the policy effective dates.
- Early termination requests are accepted.
- Students must re-enroll each academic year they wish to continue coverage in the Health Insurance Plan; renewal is NOT automatic.
- Following Aetna requirements, the University reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility for the initial and continued enrollment in this insurance plan.
- The University reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with the University insurance requirements. Please be sure to have a copy of your insurance policy as you may be asked to provide documentation.
- A valid health insurance card must be available when submitting the insurance waiver. Pending insurance coverage or a letter from your employer and/or a third company does NOT constitute as an accepted/submitted waiver.
- Important Notice to Athletes: The Health Insurance Waiver process is NOT the same as providing an insurance card or information to the Athletics Department or the athletic trainers as part of the medical information required for participation in the student’s sport.
- Disclaimer: If you withdraw from all/some courses on/or after the add/drop period it does not remove the health insurance premium. You will still remain enrolled in the health insurance plan for the duration of the effective date. You will also be financially responsible for the full cost of the health insurance premium unless you have an approved waiver on file by Monday, September 28, 2020.
The official method of communication with students is via your Montclair State email. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their email is working, check their email on a regular basis and respond or take action as appropriate.