Montclair State University continues to be a leader amongst higher education institutions in utilizing mobile technology for students to assist them in all aspects of campus life. Through our partnership with Rave Mobile Safety, we provide safety, academic and auxiliary applications through use of the voice, text and data capabilities of today’s wireless carriers. Below are overviews of the Rave applications and individual instructions on how to use them:
Rave Text Alerts: Rave Alerts is the primary mobile communications tool at Montclair State University that notifies the campus community in emergency situations, as well as other vital scenarios that might impact the campus.
Students: Students are automatically registered through their emergency contact information in NEST.
Faculty/Staff: Faculty and Staff are automatically registered through their emergency contact information in Workday.
Please ensure your emergency contact information is accurate. All broadcast alerts for situations including school closings, power outages, security threats, weather hazards, evacuations and natural disasters will be texted to your phone or your preferred email address or both.
Don’t have a University NetID?
You can now opt-in to Rave Text Alerts!
- Go to the RAVE website.
- Enter your University NetID and Password.
- Select Log In.
- Click Add in the Mobile Phones module.
- Enter your 10-digit Mobile Number.
- Select Continue.
- Confirm your carrier.
- Select Continue.
- Select Done.
- Confirm your email address under the Email module and click Add if you wish to add additional emails.
Rave Guardian: Guardian is the award-winning safety application that makes your safe campus here at Montclair State University, safer. Guardian is a timer-based system accessed by using the free Guardian safety app and clicking on the Safety Timer icon and entering a PIN number that you create upon registration.
Rave Guardian Registration
- Go to the RAVE website..
- Enter your University NetID and Password.
- Select Log In.
- Select the My Account tab.
- Select the GET THE APP button.
- Follow the prompts to download the Guardian App.
After you register for Rave Guardian you will receive a text message confirming that your registration is complete.
Rave Guardian Overview
Guardian provides peace of mind and increased security by transforming any smartphone into a personal safety device. Rave Guardian is activated by initializing a timer or placing a Panic Call to University Police personnel
How the timer works:
- Before traveling from one place to another, such as walking from the library to your residence hall late at night, a user activates the Guardian timer on their mobile phone.
- When the user reaches their destination safely, they deactivate their Guardian timer – police and first responders are not alerted. This is referred to as a passive case.
- If the timer expires, police and first responders are notified immediately with detailed case information. This is referred to as an active case.
How Guardian Works
Rave Guardian is a smart phone application developed for the iPhone and Android operating systems. The Rave Guardian application can be downloaded from the respective app stores (the Apple App Store or Google Play). After downloading and successful registration, click on the Safety Timer icon and enter your PIN number that you created upon registration.
To activate a timer:
- Click on the ‘Guardian’ app..
- Click on ‘Safety Timer.’
- Enter your 4-digit PIN created during the registration process.
- Guardian verifies the mobile number.
- Enter timer duration.
- Enter your Status.
- Pick your Primary Guardian.
University Police recommends that your status should contain the following information:
- Where you are currently located.
- Your destination.
- Your residence hall and room number (if applicable.)
- Your vehicle make/model and license plate number (if applicable.)
- The person you’re going to see, class you’re going to attend or parking lot to which you are walking, and a brief description of the clothing you’re wearing.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you can leave that information as well.
A timer is now activated and University Police personnel are notified that a passive case has been initiated. Your profile information and/or geographic location are not shared at this time. Five minutes prior to the timer expiring, a reminder message is sent to your mobile phone. The message reads: Your Guardian Safety Session will expire in 5 minutes.
Important Note: If you try to initiate Guardian but have not already registered your phone, you will be advised to visit www.getrave.com and register.
To deactivate a timer:
- Click on the Deactivate icon
- Enter your 4-digit PIN
- Guardian verifies the mobile number
- The case is deactivated
In the event that you do not deactivate the timer before it expires, University Police personnel are notified with vital safety profile information, contact information and the last known geographic location.
Other Ways University Police Will Be Notified by Guardian
PIN Entry Expired
If the number of PIN entry attempts exceeds the amount allotted, University Police personnel are notified. In this scenario either you are entering your PIN incorrectly or an assailant may have your phone and is trying to
deactivate the timer with the incorrect PIN. Either way University Police personnel are notified.
In the event an emergency situation arises and you are forced to divulge your 4-digit PIN number to an assailant, you can send a Duress Code to University Police personnel by entering a 4-digit PIN that is one number higher than your original PIN.
Example: Your PIN is 1831. If you are in duress you would enter 1832 as your PIN. The Duress Code will appear to deactivate the timer on the mobile device. In actuality, the Duress Code has notified campus police that you are potentially in a dangerous situation. Note: 9999 is not a valid PIN
Location Based Services vs. Voice Message
If your timer expires, and your cell phone carrier offers Location Based Services, University Police will be able to view a modified map of the campus with an approximate location of where your cell phone is. Based on a myriad of conditions e.g. inside or outside, top floor or basement of the building, etc. University Police can view your cell phone’s location within 50-300 meters accuracy. If the case remains active, University Police will be able to “breadcrumb” your cell phone’s movement.
It is important to note that University Police are NEVER able to obtain your location or profile information unless you are utilizing the panic call or your timer has expired.
If you need immediate assistance you may click on the ‘Call’ icon from within the ‘Emergencies’ icon.
University Police personnel are immediately notified that you are in urgent need of assistance. The Panic Call can be initiated with or without a timer being activated. At the same time that the University Police personnel receive the Panic Call, an active case opens on the Rave Guardian Console that is monitored by University Police personnel. The active case displays your safety profile and geographic location.
Important Note: Your timer will expire and University Police personnel will be notified even if your phone is turned off!
You are now ready to use Guardian, and make your campus here at Montclair State University safer!
E-TIPS: E-TIPS is a tip hotline. You can send a tip to the Montclair State Campus Police by using the Guardian safety app and clicking on the Emergency icon. You can report anything from bullying to a broken car window.
E-TIPS is a tip hotline. If you see something happening on campus that you feel needs to be reported you can notify the Montclair State Campus Police with your tip.
- CONFIDENTIAL TIPS LINE: Ext. 8477 from on-campus extensions
- CONFIDENTIAL TEXT LINE: Text “E-TIPS” then a space and your message to 67283 from your cellular phone.