There are certain criteria for Undergraduate Research (CHEM-499) and students that do not meet these criteria should enroll in Senior Laboratory (CHEM-498). Students should complete an application that indicates that you have an interest in undergraduate research when you have some idea about what your responsibilities are and you have the following qualifications:
- CHEM-499 is limited to Chemistry and Biochemistry majors
- Completed General Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II and Experimental Organic Chemistry I
- Research students should have earned a grade of C or better in all chemistry classes attempted
- Once a student has completed 3 credits of CHEM-499, the student should be permitted to take 1 semester hour of CHEM-499 in any particular semester
- Upon completion of CHEM-499, all students are required to prepare a formal research report
These are general criteria and exceptions can be made for outstanding students.
When conducting research in any of the lab facilities it is important to know the safety protocols, information which can be found on the Safety Manuals & Resources page.
All students within the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry are encouraged to participate in research projects under the supervision of faculty, you can view our faculty and their interests below. If you are interested download the Research Application!