The Chemistry and Biochemistry Department offers two majors leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science, Chemistry and Biochemistry and a combined BS/MS program in Chemistry. A student who chooses the chemistry major can prepare for graduate study in chemistry or biochemistry, professional employment, professional education in fields related to science, or teacher certification. The courses meet the undergraduate criteria established by the American Chemical Society (ACS). The chemistry major is included in the ACS list of approved programs. A student that completes the proper sequence of courses can receive certification by the ACS Committee on Professional Training. View the requirements for the American Chemical Society (ACS) Certification.
The student who chooses the biochemistry major will emerge with a strong background in the basic sciences and mathematics as well as biochemistry and will qualify for graduate study in biochemistry or professional employment. With appropriate elective course selections, students in either major can satisfy the requirements for pre-health professional programs (pre-medical, pre-dental or pre-chiropractic).
The department sponsors a challenging honors program for chemistry majors with outstanding academic records (at least 3.70 grade point average), an undergraduate research program, and offers cooperative education work experiences. Those interested should see the department chairperson for information.
- BS in Biochemistry (BICM)
- BS in Chemistry (CHEM)
- BS in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Chemistry, Preschool-Grade 12 (CHED)
- BS in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Physical Science, Preschool-Grade 12 (CHPS)
- BS/MAT in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Chemistry, Preschool-Grade 12, and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (CCBM)
- BS/MAT in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Physical Science, Preschool-Grade 12, and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (CSBM)
- BS/MS in Chemistry, Combined Undergraduate (CHBM)