The Chemistry and Biochemistry department offers two majors leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biochemistry. A student who chooses the chemistry major will be prepared for graduate study in chemistry or biochemistry, for professional employment, for professional education in fields related to science, or teacher certification. The undergraduate programs meet the criteria established by the American Chemical Society (ACS) allowing students that complete the proper sequence of courses to receive the American Chemical Society (ACS) Certification.
Biochemistry majors will emerge with a strong background in the basic sciences and mathematics as well as biochemistry and will qualify for graduate study in biochemistry or professional employment. With appropriate elective course selections, students in either major can satisfy the requirements for pre-health professional programs (pre-medical, pre-dental or pre-chiropractic).
The department sponsors a challenging honors program for chemistry majors with outstanding academic records (> 3.70 GPA), an undergraduate research program, and offers cooperative education work experiences. Those interested should see the department chairperson for information.
- BS in Biochemistry (BICM)
- BS in Chemistry (CHEM)
- BS in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Chemistry, Preschool-Grade 12 (CHED)
- BS in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Physical Science, Preschool-Grade 12 (CHPS)
- BS/MAT in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Chemistry, Preschool-Grade 12, and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (CCBM)
- BS/MAT in Chemistry, Teacher Certification in Physical Science, Preschool-Grade 12, and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (CSBM)
- BS/MS in Chemistry, Combined Undergraduate (CHBM)
- BS/PharmD Doctor of Pharmacy Program with Rutgers University (Articulation Program)
- BS in Science Informatics