A Statement from CAPS
Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) joins the rest of the Montclair State University community in expressing our grief, sorrow and compassion to those who have been impacted by the race based tragedies that have been occurring across our country. These tragedies reflect a longstanding and entrenched history of systemic racial injustice that we condemn and are dedicated to addressing. While these tragedies can be traumatizing for all of us, we recognize that they may be especially injurious to members of our Black and African-American community. In the aftermath of experiencing or witnessing trauma, it is normal to experience a range of feelings and emotions, such as shock, fear, sadness, anger, helplessness or guilt. As a mental health service, CAPS is committed to affirming and providing care for all of our students who have been directly or vicariously impacted by trauma. We encourage you to contact our office if you (or someone you know) would like support with coping and healing. CAPS provides a host of drop in support groups in which recognizing and coping with racialized trauma may be discussed. These virtual drop in groups include COPING 101 (Tuesdays 3-4 pm), Mosaic Women (Wednesdays 1-2 p.m.) and Connecting Across Cultures (Thursdays 2-3 p.m.). For a one-on-one consultation, please drop-in to Let’s TeleTalk, offered four days a week. We hope you join us there for dialogue, support and strength.
We are a department within the Dean of Students Office designed to provide free personal counseling and psychological services for Montclair State students, as well as referrals and consultations for faculty and staff. We are fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Centers (IACS).
- Allow students to make the most of their academic experience
- Help prevent future problems
- Help students develop to their fullest potential by learning new skills and resolving issues that may limit their performance
- Assist and support faculty and staff through consultation
- Promote wellness through workshops, presentations and major campus events
- Provide a positive training environment and close supervision for graduate students in counseling and psychology