If you, or someone you know, are in crisis and are thinking about or planning suicide please reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 973-655-5211 during regular University business hours. In case of psychiatric emergency after hours, call University Police Department at 973-655-5222 OR speak to a counselor after hours by calling CAPS at 973-655-5211 and select Option “2”. These services are available to all students 24/7.
24 Hour Resources
The following resources are also available 24/7:
- Montclair State University Police: 973-655-5222
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 (For hearing & speech impaired with TTY equipment: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889))
- NJ Hopeline
- Veterans Crisis Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741-741
- Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- Trevor Chat: Online instant messaging with a Trevor Chat counselor
- Trevor Text: Text START to 678-678
- 2nd Floor Helpline: For individuals aged 10-24 who live in New Jersey, call 1-888-222-2228
- 2nd Floor Text Service: For individuals aged 10-24 who live in New Jersey, text 1-888-222-2228
- Your Life Your Voice (Boys Town Hotline): 1-800-448-3000
- Samaritans Hotline: 212-673-3000
- Crisis Chat.org: The Lifeline Crisis Chat service is available within the United States and its territories
I’m Concerned About A Friend
If you are concerned about a fellow Montclair State University student you can submit a Student Concern Form to the Dean of Students office. Go to: Student Concern Form.
- Trevor Space: A social networking site for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth ages 13 through 24 and their friends and allies.
- Your Life Your Voice Text: For pre-teens, teens and young adults 11pm – 1pm, seven days a week. Text VOICE to 20121 to start.
- Teen Line: 1-800-TLC-TEEN, 9pm-1am.
- Teen Line: Text TEEN to 839863 from 9pm – 12am.
Other Online Resources
- NJ Hopeline
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
Suicide Prevention Training
Suicide Prevention Training is open to the campus community to learn signs and symptoms of student distress as well as how to properly refer them to campus resources and CAPS services. To sign up for these trainings, please visit the CAPS Engage Portal. Please contact Dr. Jude Uy firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Certificate provided upon completion of training.