How To Support Struggling Students
Students may be struggling with stress and feeling overwhelmed. Fortunately, there are resources on campus that can help!
Are your students aware of campus resources?
Students report that many factors influence their academic performance. Impediments to success often include stress, sleep problems, anxiety, depression and relationship concerns. Do your students know where to get help?
MSU’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers free and confidential counseling for all MSU students.
Are you prepared to refer students to appropriate resources?
Faculty may find themselves facing challenging conversations with some students. Are you comfortable identifying and approaching distressed and/or at risk students? Are you prepared to refer students to counseling? CAPS offers several resources to assist you and your students:
- How to Refer a Distressed Student
- Complete the At-Risk Training for Faculty & Staff
- Interactive web-based training on how to identify, approach and refer at-risk students. Log in or create a new account (Enrollment Key-montclair973)
- Online Self-Help Screenings (Please tell your students)
- Therapy Assistance Online-TAO (On-line self-help for students, faculty and staff)
- Free mental health support. Sign up with your MSU email.