The Red Hawk Ready (RHR) Medical Alert Program is an emergency alert system for Montclair State students, staff and faculty with medical conditions, allergies or medications. The RHR Program members obtain an alert card and sticker that would allow EMS to obtain their medical information in case of an emergency when they are unable to give information.
How Do I Enroll?
Pick up your Red Hawk Ready Medical Alert packet at the EMS Office (Student Center 105), Disability Resource Center or the University Health Center. If you have a medical condition, have allergies or take medications, this program allows you to keep your medical information readily available in a discrete way so it is available for EMS providers in an emergency when you are unable to communicate. Packets include an information letter, ID card and alert sticker. This program is open to anyone in the campus community who may benefit. Be Red Hawk Ready!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the program work?
- Your medical information kit contains two important pieces when you pick it up. The first item in the kit is your medical information card. This card should be completed with current information and should be kept on you at all times. The second item in your kit is your medical alert sticker. This sticker should be placed on your University ID, without obstructing pertinent information, such as name, photo or the barcode/strip. If for some reason EMS is unable to communicate with you, the EMTs or University PD will look for your University ID and license. When EMS or PD identifies the medical alert sticker, they will know to look for your medical information card. This card will provide EMS with vital information that would assist them in your care. EMS will do their best to accommodate your requests, but clinical judgment will be used when making decisions.
- Where is my medical information card kept?
- The medical information card should be kept on you at all times. The first place EMS will look for your card is in your wallet. If you choose to keep the card located elsewhere, EMS encourages you to write the location on the medical alert sticker so that no time is wasted getting your information. Once your information has been documented, your card will be placed back in the location that it was found. We do not keep the card or copies of the card on file.
- What if I lose my card or need to change the information?
- If you need to change your information or you lose your card, you may pick up a new card in one of the three following locations:
- EMS Office: Student Center Rm. 105
- University Health Center: Blanton Hall
- Disability Resource Center: Webster Hall Rm. 100
If you have any questions regarding the Red Hawk Ready Medical Alert Card program, please feel free to contact the EMS office at 973-655-7840, stop in the EMS office in Student Center Rm. 105 or e-mail directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.