Financing your Education
Montclair State University prides itself on offering students the opportunity to pursue a world class education with an affordable tuition. In addition, we provide tuition assistance through graduate assistantships, scholarships, and financial aid.
Tuition and Fees
Please review the list of graduate costs to determine the tuition/fee rates for your intended program.
*Please note that all non-degree students as well as those who apply to a graduate program will be charged graduate level tuition and fees – regardless whether or not the courses they enroll in are at the graduate or undergraduate level.
The Office of Student Financial Aid is a great resource center for students who want help financing their education. Please visit the Financial Aid site and explore the many options available in the form of loans, scholarships and work study.
The Office of Student Accounts is the central location for all billing processes related to a student’s educational costs, whether it is payments, credits, refunds or charges related to tuition, fees, room, board, etc. If you have any questions regarding actual billing and payments, this is the place to look for that information.
The Graduate School offers a variety of assistantship positions for degree seeking graduate students. Graduate and Teaching Assistantships are available to degree seeking master’s students who are enrolled in their program full-time (six credits or more per semester). Doctoral Fellowship, Doctoral Assistantship, and Doctoral Teaching Assistantship positions are available to degree seeking doctoral students with any enrollment status. The assistantship program is highly competitive and compensation may vary between programs and/or students. Students should be sure to mark the appropriate area on the admission application, as Assistantship assignments will be considered as part of the admission process to a graduate degree program.
Please review the full list of scholarship opportunities offered to master’s and doctoral students through Montclair State University, as well as external opportunities and scholarship search engines. The Graduate School encourages you to apply to any and all scholarships opportunities that may seem right for you.
Application Fee Waivers
Please note: your application will not be reviewed until all supplemental items are received, including the verification of your application fee waiver. The following is a list of the types of fee waivers that are available to students:
- Application fee waiver for attending a Graduate Open House.
- Application fee waiver as an applicant to the MBA program.
- Application fee waiver for a valid NJ Teacher’s certificate.
- Application fee waiver for members of the Military (active duty or veterans)
- Application fee waiver because a student is currently enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program and applying to a certificate or certification program.
Unemployment Tuition Waiver
If you are currently unemployed, you may qualify to receive an unemployment tuition waiver from the State of New Jersey. This waiver can only be utilized by non-degree students. Applicants are required to meet the same academic standards as other non-degree students and may only take classes under programs that allow non-degree students. Interested applicants should fill out the regular web application, and make sure to select non-degree status. Detailed explanation of the program’s eligibility requirements.
New Jersey Dream Act
On December 20, 2013, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed into law Senate Bill 2479 referred to as the New Jersey Dream Act. The Dream Act allows New Jersey residents who are undocumented under U.S. Immigration Law to qualify for in-state tuition rates at all of New Jersey’s public institutions of higher learning.
- To be considered eligible, students need to have graduated from a New Jersey high school, attending for a minimum of three years.
- If you would like to apply for in-state tuition under the Dream Act, please print and complete the Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status.
- Along with the completed form, you will need to include a document with your full name, date of birth and current address. Please mail your documents to the address below:Montclair State University
The Graduate School
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ, 07043