Business Administration (4+1 Bachelor’s/MBA)
The “4 + 1” Bachelor’s/MBA is a five year program, during which students will spend three years taking courses required for their chosen bachelor’s degree program and in their fourth year, they will complete (along with required undergraduate program courses) 6 credits worth of graduate business (MBA) coursework. This will satisfy both undergraduate degree requirements and count toward achievement of the MBA degree. In the fifth year, students will take graduate courses required for a General MBA, in a full-time format.
Students must notify the MBA Office regarding their interest in the program and complete a change of major form to designate intent to participate in the 4 + 1 program. Upon approval, students can enroll in the MBA swing courses during the spring semester of their senior year. Students will then apply to The Graduate School as a last term senior to be officially accepted as a graduate student. Those who do not meet 4 + 1 program requirements or who choose not to pursue the MBA by completing the remaining courses in year five will graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. Students who complete the 5-year program will possess both a Bachelor’s degree in their undergraduate discipline and an MBA degree.
- High-achieving Montclair State undergraduates are able to complete a Bachelor’s and MBA degree in five years
- Students from a variety of undergraduate disciplines gain valuable business and professional knowledge, skills and experiences that enhance their employability and career options post graduation
- Students can take advantage of a more cost-effective option for getting an MBA degree by taking some “swing” graduate courses that satisfy both their undergraduate and graduate degrees at the undergraduate tuition rate
The following undergraduate programs are approved for participation in the 4 +1 program:
- BS Applied Mathematics
- BS Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- BS Biology
- BS Business Administration
- Business Analytics
- Hospitality Management
- International Business
- Management of Information & Technology
- Retail Merchandising & Management
- Real Estate
- Sports, Events, & Tourism Marketing
- BA Classics
- BS Earth and Environmental Science
- BA Economics
- BA Economics with concentration in Asset Management
- BA Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
- BA Geographic, Environmental, and Urban Studies
- BA History
- BS Hospitality, Sports, Events, and Tourism
- BA Humanities
- BA Language, Business, and Culture (with concentrations in Arabic, French, German, and Italian). NOTE: the combined BA/MBA program option is not applicable to the BA in Language Business and Culture with a concentration in Spanish.
- BS Mathematics
- BA Philosophy
- BS Physics
- BA Psychology
- BS in Public Health with concentration in Community Health Education
- BS in Public Health with concentration in Health Systems Administration and Policy
- BA Religion
- BS Sustainability Science
- BS Statistics
- BA Writing Studies
As enrollees in a 5 year Bachelor’s/MBA program, students will complete 120 credits of undergraduate courses including 6 credits of MBA core courses (“swing” courses), 24 credits of remaining MBA core coursework and 6 credits of MBA elective courses, for a total of 150 credits.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
This combined bachelor’s/master’s program requires that you be a current Montclair State University undergraduate student in one of the approved majors working towards the bachelor’s portion of the combined program. If you have already received your bachelor’s degree from Montclair State University or any other institution, please see the information for the Business Administration (MBA) program.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: March 1st for Summer Admission Only.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Business Administration (4+1 Bachelor’s/MBA) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Standardized Test Scores: Not required.
- Statement of Purpose: Please write a personal statement of your professional objectives. This statement, 1-2 pages in length, is your opportunity to explain your reasons for seeking the MBA degree. You may discuss any of the following topics:
- Your ultimate career goals, and the ways in which you expect the MBA to advance them.
- Personal and/or professional accomplishments that demonstrate your ability to master new challenges.
- Gaps in your existing knowledge or experience that affects your job satisfaction or productivity, and that you believe will be addressed by the MBA.
Please note that this statement is your opportunity to demonstrate your written communication skills as well as your interest in the MBA.
- Resume: A current resume is required.
- Letters of Recommendation: Letters of Recommendation: One (1) letter of recommendation, from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant’s promise of academic achievement and potential for professional growth.
Curriculum information will be available soon in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Business Administration (4+1 Bachelor’s/MBA) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*
MBA Advisor: April Sime