Artist’s Diploma (Certificate)
The two-year post-baccalaureate Artist’s Diploma certificate program develops the technique, artistry and professionalism of gifted young musicians. It trains students who possess both talent and the ability and determination to realize that talent in the contemporary musical world. Students may have already begun performing careers or may be on the brink of such careers.
The program focuses on the practical, performance-based aspects of music, including private instruction, solo and chamber music study and performance, and the presentation of two full recitals. Students work closely with faculty, coaches and advisors to grow as performers. In addition, the program is flexible so that students may choose such varied options as expanding studies in theory, languages or history, or making practical preparations for careers. The program is planned to support the individual needs and goals of each musician.
A student who successfully completes one year of this program and decides not to continue may be eligible to receive a Performer’s Certificate.
Along with the Artist’s Diploma certificate, the department also offers an Art (Combined BA/MAT) degree.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Students must have a baccalaureate degree in Music or equivalent from an accredited institution.
Credits from previous study may not be substituted or transferred into the Artist’s Diploma program. The one exception applies to students who have just competed Montclair State’s Performer’s Certificate program; they may roll over the twelve credits earned in that certificate towards this more intensive 24-credit program.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Artist’s Diploma (Certificate):
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement – Please write one integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
Complete 24 semester hours. Completion of the programs requires six credits per semester. Due to the intensive amount of weekly practicing and rehearsing involved, students in this program will be considered by the University to be full-time students.
For more information, please visit the Artist’s Diploma Certificate program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Artist’s Diploma (Certificate) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*