Music – Artist’s Diploma Certificate
The two-year post-baccalaureate Music – Artist’s Diploma Certificate program develops the technique, artistry and professionalism of gifted young musicians. It trains students who possess both talent and the ability and determination to realize that talent in the contemporary musical world. Students may have already begun performing careers or may be on the brink of such careers.
The program focuses on the practical, performance-based aspects of music, including private instruction, solo and chamber music study and performance, and the presentation of two full recitals. Students work closely with faculty, coaches and advisors to grow as performers. In addition, the program is flexible so that students may choose such varied options as expanding studies in theory, languages or history, or making practical preparations for careers. The program is planned to support the individual needs and goals of each musician.
A student who successfully completes one year of this program and decides not to continue may be eligible to receive a Performer’s Certificate.
The Cali School of Music offers the following options for graduate studies – please feel free to navigate to the programs that interest you!
- Advanced Cert in Music Education
- MA in Music Education
- MAT in Music
- Post BA in Music Education
- MA in Music Therapy
- MM in Music Performance
- Music Artist Diploma
- MA in Music Theory/Composition
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Students must have a baccalaureate degree in Music or equivalent from an accredited institution.
Credits from previous study may not be substituted or transferred into the Artist’s Diploma program. The one exception applies to students who have just competed Montclair State’s Performer’s Certificate program; they may roll over the twelve credits earned in that certificate towards this more intensive 24-credit program.
The Office of Graduate Admissions requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Music – Artist’s Diploma Certificate:
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement – Please write one integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
- Auditions for Graduate Music Applicants
Applicants to this program are required to register for & complete an audition and/or interview as part of the Cali School’s review process. To register for an audition you must first submit an application to the Graduate School. Once submitted, a link to the audition registration page will be available to you on the checklist in your application portal. Information regarding the audition/interview requirements, available dates, methods, fees, & deadlines can all be found on The Cali School’s Audition Information Page. Please be sure to review the audition information thoroughly to ensure you are fully prepared at the time of your audition.
Complete 24 semester hours. Completion of the programs requires six credits per semester. Due to the intensive amount of weekly practicing and rehearsing involved, students in this program will be considered by the University to be full-time students.
For more information, please visit the Music – Artist’s Diploma Certificate program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Music – Artist’s Diploma Certificate Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*