MSN in Nursing Administration
Are you a registered nurse who wants to be an advocate for change in healthcare systems to improve the patient care experience and quality of affordable care?
If so, consider the 35-credit online MSN in Nursing Administration at Montclair State University. This concentration builds on your existing knowledge, skills and experience so you are ready to assume leadership and management responsibility for:
- Building teams to promote the implementation of new programs and initiatives
- Assessing and evaluating operations for efficiency, effectiveness and stakeholder satisfaction
- Developing and monitoring quality of care initiatives to improve healthcare system outcomes
- Compiling and evaluating data to support best clinical practices
Blend your nursing background with formal business skills and experience by completing 9 credits in the Feliciano School of Business with MBA students.
- NURS 500 – Issues Affecting Health Care and Health Policy (3)
- NURS 510 – Informatics and Data Management (3)
- NURS 520 – Nursing Research and Evidence Based Practice (3)
Specialty Courses (9 credits)
- MKTG 561 – Applied Marketing Management (1.5)
- MGMT 561 – Achieving Competitive Advantage (1.5)
- MGMT 562 – Organizational Behavior (1.5)
- MGMT 565 – Project Management (1.5)
- MGMT 566 – Negotiation in the Workplace (1.5)
- MGMT 570 – Strategic Human Resource Management (1.5)
Advanced Practice Role (17 credits)
- NURS 605 – Context of Healthcare for Nursing Leadership (3)
- NURS 615 – Resource Utilization and Development (3)
- NURS 625 – Program Planning and Evaluation (3)
- NURS 635 – Strategic Management Practicum (4)*
- NURS 640 – Nursing Synthesis Capstone Project (4)*
Total Program Credits: 35
*Each nursing student is required to complete 150 in-person clinical practicum hours. Students work with expert nurse educators in clinical and academic settings as they meet their individual goals.
Please note, curriculum and credit hours are subject to change. Course sequencing and program progression are determined on an individual basis with your academic advisor.
- Completion of the online application.
- Submission of all official transcripts.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in undergraduate studies.
- A current resume is required with your application.
- Licensure as an RN in good standing in New Jersey or eligibility for RN licensure if a new graduate. New graduate nurses must successfully pass the NCLEX RN within 6 months of matriculation.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or employers.
- A one-page personal statement. The personal statement should explain your reason for applying to the program, learning goals, and relevant professional experience.
There is still time to apply and begin the program in Fall 2023.
The School of Nursing is proud to partner with:
- Hackensack Meridian Mountainside Medical Center to provide a 20% tuition discount to eligible RNs.
- Atlantic Health Systems to provide a 20% tuition discount to eligible RNs.
- St. Joseph’s University Medical Center to provide a 20% tuition discount to eligible RNs.
Please contact the School of Nursing for additional information.
If you have general questions regarding the application process, please call or email Admissions at The Graduate School:
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree program at Montclair State University has been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).