MSU Preselect Option (For MSU students only)
The preselect option for the MSU Dietetic Internship (DI) provides preselect admission to the MSU DI for students enrolled in the MSU BSMS-DPD, BS-DPD (through 2023) and AND Certificate program. Upon completion of the DI, the student will receive a Verification Statement of program completion allowing the student to sit for the National Examination for Registered Dietitians/Nutritionists (RD/RDN).
Pre-Select: 10 of 22 positions may be filled using the preselect option. MSU is not participating in the DICAS / D&D fall matching program.
Important Fall 2021 Pre-Select Dates:
- December 1, 2021: Applications Due
- December 1, 2021, & January 10, 2022: Interviews for Selected Candidates
- January 10, 2022: Notification of Accepted Candidates
- January 11, 2022: Deadline for Candidates to Accept DI Offer
Pre-Select Application Process and Details:
Applicants are expected to have a GPA of at least 3.2 in the DPD coursework at the time of application.
Application materials should be completed via online forms and/or sent to Montclair State University, Dietetic Internship, 1 Normal Avenue, University Hall Room 4019, Montclair, NJ 07043. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted. Qualified applicants will be required to submit the following:
- Application: The Qualtrics application is available on Canvas under the Nutrition and Food Science Community. If you do not have access to this Canvas Community, please ask your advisor for access.
- Declaration of Intent (DOI) Form
- Recommendation letter (1)
- DPD course listing
- Personal essay
- Current resume
- $65 application fee payable to Montclair State University/Dietetic Internship, and sent to Montclair State University, Dietetic Internship, 1 Normal Avenue, University Hall Room 4019, Montclair, NJ 07043.
DI Faculty and Admissions Committee members will review and score the preselect applications, and decide and notify applicants of acceptance into the interview portion of the selection process. Students not able to meet the preselect requirements during the last year will forfeit their slots in the DI.
The preselect option is not an automatic acceptance. Applicants will be scored on the following criteria:
- DPD GPA
- Letter of recommendation (either emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Montclair State University, Dietetic Internship, 1 Normal Avenue, University Hall Room 4019, Montclair, NJ 07043)
- Personal essay including professional interest in the field, experiences that have helped to prepare for a career in dietetics, short- and long-term goals, strengths and areas needing improvement, and other information to consider for the selection decision. Consider content/depth, style of writing/grammar/spelling/punctuation and general flow of statement
- Description of work and volunteer experiences
- Listing of honors and awards
- Interview and writing sample: An interview with program faculty and/or Admissions Committee member/s will be required. Applicants will be contacted by phone to arrange a date and time for the interview which can last up to one hour and will be held at MSU or virtually. Applicants will be evaluated during the interview based on the following: professionalism, communication skills, responses to questions, critical thinking, assessment of prior learning (case-based scenario/writing sample), enthusiasm, and skills.
Applicants who are admitted to the program will receive notification of an offer of admission via email. Applicants accepted will be required to confirm acceptance by 5:00 p.m. on the following business day. Accepted students will be required to maintain a DPD GPA of at least 3.2, will need a DPD Verification Statement, and model the Academy’s Code of Ethics
Students confirming acceptance into the DI will not be eligible to apply to other programs using the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) or national computer matching through D & D Digital. Students must also remove themselves from other application processes for similar programs that do not participate in DICAS or D & D Digital. Applicants who violate these terms of acceptance will automatically revoke their admission to the MSU DI.
After evaluation of the application, an applicant who is not accepted through the preselect option is advised to contact the DI Director to discuss options and findings of the Admissions Committee. The applicant will be advised to apply through the traditional matching process and will be given direction to improve his/her application.