Effective May 1, 2014, the State of New Jersey mandated that all State employees enroll and be paid using Direct Deposit.
With Direct Deposit, your paycheck is electronically transferred to your designated bank account(s) at 9:00 a.m. on payday. Direct deposit provides assurance that your pay will be in your bank account as of the bank opening on payday even if severe weather such as a snowstorm or other circumstances prevent you from picking up your pay check. The program is safe, convenient and free.
The Human Resources Department is pleased to announce that effective Monday April 19, 2021, employees will be able to update their Direct Deposit information directly in Workday. You will now have the ability to add, remove and change accounts quickly and securely without contacting the Payroll Department.
Who can initiate this process?
Active Montclair State University employees enrolled in Duo two-factor authentication will have access to update their payment elections in Workday. Student employees are not eligible to complete this process in Workday and will have to submit payment election forms directly to Payroll. New hire employees cannot complete their Payment Elections until their first day of employment.
How Do I Enroll In or Change Direct Deposit
Direct Deposit Instructions:
For active MSU employees (students not eligible, see student section for instructions):
Prior to submitting your forms ensure that, the following is completed/included. Any missing documentation will delay this process.
- Name, 8- digit employee/student ID# and contact information.
- If you have not received your ID#, kindly wait until you do to submit your information. Forms submitted without it, will not be processed.
- All students can locate their ID# in NEST by clicking the Self Service Banner and it will be located on the top left corner.
- Attach back-up documentation from your financial institution:
- Scan/picture of a voided check from your personal bank account.
- If you do not have personal checks, you may retrieve a direct deposit authorization form from your online banking.
- The MSU form and banking documentation should be e-mailed to both addresses below:
Alternatively, you can submit your Direct Deposit documents in person at the Human Resources offices located in the Overlook building.
Direct Deposit Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?
- A: If you are an active Montclair State employee, please utilize Self Service. If you are a Student Employee, download and complete the Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Forms are also available for pick-up at Overlook, 3rd Floor. We will ask for a copy of a blank check that has been marked “Void” or a bank letter. An easy way to do this is to photo copy a blank check and then write void on the copy, thereby saving a check for your use.
- Q: Do I have to use a particular financial institution for Direct Deposit?
- A: No. You may use any eligible financial institution in the United States that is a member of the ACH Network. Eligible financial institutions include banks, credit unions, and savings banks.
- Q: How reliable is Direct Deposit?
- A: Montclair State University has been successfully providing Direct Deposit to employees since 1992.
- Q: Can I divide my pay among different accounts if I use Direct Deposit?
- A: You may select up to 4 accounts to divide your pay through Direct Deposit. To do so, please provide a main account (balance) along with dollar amounts, not percentages.
- Q: Can I have some of my pay deposited into an account and have the rest paid on paper check?
- A: No. When participating in Direct Deposit, the full net pay amount must be made through Direct Deposit.
- Q: What if I do not submit my direct deposit information?
- A: If you do not have a checking or savings account, a Bank of America pay card will be assigned to you.
- Q: As a new participant, how will I receive my first paycheck?
- A: Your first paycheck will be deposited into your account, if information has been submitted, or a Bank of America pay card.
- Q: How do I know when my payment has been deposited?
- A: Your account balance can be verified with your financial institution by phone or on-line.
- Q: When do I have access to the money?
- A: Typically, your payment is available at the opening of your financial institution on payday. If your money is not in your account on payday, you should contact your financial institution.
- Q: What if I want to make a change in financial institutions?
- A: If you are an active Montclair State employee, please utilize Self Service to make changes. If you are a Student Employee, enter the new information on a Direct Deposit Form and submit the form to the Office of Payroll Services. All changes except the dollar amount to an existing Direct Deposit account will require submission of a voided check or bank letter and will be processed the next scheduled pay after submitting the direct deposit change.
- Q: What if I close my account?
- A: If you close your account and do not stop your Direct Deposit through Self Service or if you are a Student Employee by informing the Office of Payroll Services, you will have to wait until Montclair State University receives the funds from your financial institution. Once the funds are returned, a replacement check will be issued to the employee in the upcoming payroll.
- Q: If I sign up for Direct Deposit, how can I be sure no one will have access to my account?
- A: Direct Deposit is a confidential way to send and receive payments. Although the Office of Payroll Services does have a limited ability to reverse your Direct Deposit payment, it can only access funds for a limited time that were deposited in error.
Bank of America Pay Cards
Bank of America Pay Cards are mailed to those employees who are not yet on direct deposit.
Bank of America Pay Cards Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is the Pay Card/Cash Pay Program?
- A: The Payroll Card Program is a new payroll solution in lieu of paper checks that is a means to receive your pay via a Visa prepaid payroll card. This program will allow Montclair State University to move to a paperless, electronic payroll process while providing you with flexible, convenient and secure ways to access your pay.
- Q: What is the Pay Card?
- A: The payroll card is a personalized and reloadable Visa prepaid card issued to you in place of paper payroll checks. Your pay is automatically loaded to your payroll card account every pay day.
- Q: Who is eligible for the Pay Card?
- A: All employees at Montclair State University who do not provide viable direct deposit account information for their pay checks at Montclair State University will be receiving payroll by pay card.
- Q: Can I use my CashPay card immediately?
- A: Once your card is received you must call into CashPay Customer Service at 866-213-4074 or visit the CashPay Customer Service website to activate your card. Once this occurs, you may use your card as soon as the company makes a deposit.
- Q: How can I be sure of the balance in my account?
- A: You can complete a balance inquiry using the automated account information via the toll-free customer service number 866-213-4074, at an ATM, or you may also check your balance online at the CashPay Customer Service website. It is recommended you perform a balance inquiry before performing a transaction so you will know how much money is available in your CashPay account.
- Q: How do I make a Visa purchase using my CashPay card?
- A: You can use your CashPay Visa-branded card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Just press credit and you will be asked to sign a receipt of your purchase.
- Q: Can I transfer funds from my CashPay account to a checking or savings account?
- A: Yes, if you have an originally-issued CashPay Visa card, you may perform an Online Funds Transfer via the CashPay Customer Service website (fee will apply) to transfer funds from your CashPay account to a traditional checking or savings owned by your in the United States. You will need to register a transfer-to account prior to performing your first transfer. A minimum value of $20.00 may be transferred and you may only have up to two different transfer-to accounts in your profile. To begin this process you will simply sign on to the CashPay Customer Service website and select the Transfer Funds link within your online Account Summary page.
- Q: Do I have to take my entire pay on payday?
- A: No. You may use your CashPay card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted and at ATMs for any portion of your available balance as often as you like. Safeguard your money and take only what is needed.
- Q: Is there a daily maximum I can take from my CashPay account?
- A: No. Unlike a traditional bank account, Cashpay has no daily purchase or withdrawal limits and you have full access to your available balance at any time. However, ATM owners determine how much their ATM will dispense per transaction (up to 40 bills) and you may need to make multiple withdrawals to take the amount needed. If more cash is required, back-to-back withdrawals can be made.
- Q: When are transaction fees charged?
- A: Transaction fees are charged as they occur. View the card hold fee schedule on the CashPay Customer Service website
- Q: Who should I call with questions about my CashPay account?
- A: The CashPay Customer Service number is 866-213-4074. This number is displayed on the back of your card, as well as within your user guide information. You may also obtain account information via the CashPay Customer Service website.