All applicants must meet the admission requirements for graduate study at Montclair State University, as well as adhere to the application guidelines of The Graduate School (TGS). Please refer to the TGS website for all application requirements and instructions.
Most supplemental items can be uploaded through the TGS submission portal once you have filed your online application and application fee. Supplemental items needing to be sent via postal mail (e.g., transcripts) should be sent directly to TGS at: The Graduate School, Montclair State University, 1 Normal Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07043. Any questions about how to submit an application should be directed to TGS via phone (973-655-5147) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In addition, the Psychology Department and its individual graduate programs have specific requirements and procedures that all applicants should review when preparing their applications.
PhD in Clinical Psychology
Admissions information regarding the PhD Program in Clinical Psychology can be found here.
MA in Clinical Psychology, School Psychology Certification Program
Please refer to the following for information regarding admissions requirements for these programs:
MA in Psychological Sciences, MA in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
Applicants must have:
- A bachelor’s degree in psychology
- For applicants who were not psychology majors, a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits in psychology, including a course in statistics and a laboratory experimental course, are required. Please note: an introductory course in psychology does not count toward the minimum credit requirement, though it might be needed as a pre-requisite to other psychology courses.
- The undergraduate requirements can be taken here at Montclair State or another university. Please be sure to check with the Graduate Programs Coordinator to be certain the courses taken elsewhere fulfill the undergraduate credit requirements.
- Acceptable scores on the GRE (the Psychology Subject Test is not required)
- At least two letters of recommendation
- Letters from academia are strongly suggested
- Personal letters of reference are discouraged
Application Deadlines and Admissions Procedures
The deadline for admissions to the MA in Industrial/Organizational is March 15th. We only admit applicants for enrollment starting in the fall semester. The deadline for admissions to the MA in Psychological Sciences is April 1st. We only admit applicants for enrollment starting in the fall semester.
- Interested candidates should adhere to the application guidelines of The Graduate School. Upon receiving required application materials, The Graduate School will review applications and forward them to the Department of Psychology.
- The Department of Psychology then reviews the applications
- The Department of Psychology then notifies The Graduate School of its recommendation for admission.
- The Graduate School notifies prospective candidates of their status via e-mail and postal letter.
Accepted candidates are asked to contact their program director or the Graduate Programs Coordinator to schedule a time to create a work program. The work program is an outline of the courses required for the degree and explains which courses students will complete each semester they are in the program. By following their work program, students will be on-track to graduate in a timely manner.