Student on lawn

Frequently Asked Questions

Hopefully we can answer your question here! If not, please contact Dr. Milton A. Fuentes, Coordinator of Undergraduate Advising. Dr. Fuentes will hold virtual office hours on Tuesdays (1-2:15, 3:45-4:45 PM) and Thursdays (1-2:15 PM) via Zoom. If calling during those hours, please dial 646-876-9923 and use Meeting ID: 363 023 785.

Who is my Advisor?
Your advisor is listed in degree works, which can be accessed through NEST. If you don’t have an advisor, please fill out the Advisor Request form. Please be proactive and meet with your faculty advisor as early as possible to ensure timely assistance. Faculty are holding virtual office hours. Your advisor is listed in Nest. If there is an ongoing schedule conflict, please request another advisor, following the procedure above.

How should I select my advisor?
Select an advisor who matches your academic interests (e.g., clinical, developmental, experimental) and your availability (e.g., day, evening).

What should I do if my advisor does not get back to me?
If you email your advisor and don’t hear back from them, feel free to contact one of the College’s professional advisors. If difficulties continue, please contact Dr. Fuentes, the Coordinator of Advising or Dr. Arieh, the Department Chairperson.

What do I call my advisor?
Most faculty advisors prefer to be called by their formal title — “Doctor” or “Professor.”

What courses do I need to graduate?
View the Psychology Major Requirements.  All of the academic requirements are listed in Degree Works. To learn more about degree works and other academic resources, please review the Degree Works Quick Guide. If you have completed all your requirements, you may still need to take free electives to complete the minimum 120-credit requirement. If there is a discrepancy in your degree works, please alert your advisor.

Do I need to earn a specific grade in my psychology courses for them to count toward my major?
Yes, students have to earn a C- or higher for courses to count toward the major. If a D+, D, or D- is earned, the courses will fulfill free electives, but not major electives. If an F is earned in a course, no credit is granted for the course.

Can I take PSYC 203, PSYC 220 and PSYC 301 at the same time?
No, these courses need to be taken as soon as possible and in this order—203, 220, 301.

Where do I get my PIN to register for classes?
If you require a PIN, you must meet with your advisor to secure your PIN. Only certain students need a PIN to register.

How do I remove a “hold” from my account?
A “hold” is removed by the office that issued the hold (e.g., Health Center, University College and Financial Aid).

Do I need to apply for graduation?
Yes, please contact Red Hawk Central to learn more about applying for graduation.

How do I add a minor?
Montclair State offers several minors and students are encouraged to consider adding a minor, as it’s a nice way to pursue an area of interest and further distinguish yourself from other students. You can search for minors on the Montclair State University website and then go to the Department that offers the minor to complete the appropriate paperwork.

I want to change my major or minor; what do I do?
Complete the Change of Major/Minor form in the Department where the new major or minor is housed. On this form you can drop your current major or minor and add the new major or minor.

How do I take the foreign language placement test?
To learn more about the foreign language placement test, please visit the Language Placement website.

I want to grieve a grade. What do I do?
View the CHSS Grade Grievance Policy

How do I secure teaching certification?
All inquiries about the teaching certification programs at Montclair State can be directed to the Center for Pedagogy in CEHS.

What is a CV?
CV stands for Curriculum vitae and is basically a summary of your academic and professional credential and activities. The American Psychological Association has some helpful tips on developing your CV.

Where can I find internships in psychology? What is the Co-Op program?
Many students have free electives and are encouraged to consider gaining experiences that will make them more marketable to employers or graduate school programs. To learn more about how to secure a credit-bearing internship, please contact CHSS Career Development and schedule an appointment. Other opportunities are posted on the psychology major listserv, so please check your email regularly.

How can I gain experience in a research lab?
Many faculty in the department direct research labs and involve students in their research projects. A list of all Psychology Department labs can be found on our website. Consider reaching out to faculty via email and inquiring about research assistantships. Make sure your communication is professional.

How can I learn more about a specific field or topic in psychology?
To learn more about our faculty’s areas of specialty, please review their bios on our Faculty and Staff page or visit APA’s website to learn more about their different divisions.