Montclair State University’s Data Transfer and Usage Agreement Template (DOC)
- What is a DTUA?
- What is the purpose of a DTUA?
- DTUAs are intended to protect the confidentiality of the collected data, ensure safeguards to the research work conducted by MSU and its employees, and clearly delineate the receiving institution’s responsibilities in handling the data in question.
- Who is involved in a DTUA?
- For an MSU – Initiated DTUA
An MSU researcher planning to share data with an external organization, including but not limited to other academic institutions, private entities and governmental bodies, should recognize the need for a DTUA and contact the Research Compliance Officer. If the research project in question is sponsored, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs should also be contacted to negotiate the terms of the agreement. An MSU researcher may not independently enter MSU into a DTUA; only an MSU-designated official (e.g., the Director of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs), may enter the University into such an agreement. The MSU researcher is responsible for familiarity with the DTUA and should agree to the terms outlined therein. Terms should also be discussed with the recipient prior to drafting of the DTUA.
- For an Externally – Initiated DTUA
External collaborators may request that MSU researchers engage in a DTUA. An MSU researcher may not independently enter MSU into a DTUA. The Research Compliance Officer should be contacted first. If the research project in question is sponsored, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs should also be involved in the negotiation of the agreement. Only an MSU-designated official (e.g., the Director of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs), may enter the University into a DTUA. The MSU researcher is responsible for familiarity with the DTUA and should agree to the terms outlined by the third party.
- What is included in a DTUA?
- A DTUA will typically include:
- Involved parties and project
- Data description
- Period of agreement
- Use of data
- Confidentiality and security
- Methods of transfer
The contents of a DTUA will be specific to each data set and more information may be required.
- Who should I contact if I expect that I will need to be involved in a DTUA?
- Ted Russo, Director
Officer of Research and Sponsored Programs
- If your transfer involves foreign entities, you must comply with Montclair State University’s Global Compliance and Export Control policy. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Text adapted from The Capacity Project