Research Academy for University Learning
What We're All About
We encourage, facilitate, and contribute to a faculty conversation about how university students learn, how we can best foster that learning, and how we and our students can best understand its nature and progress.
March 28, 2018: Contemplative Pedagogy and Teacher Presence in the Classroom
- Time: 2:00 - 3:30 pm
- Presented by: Dr. Maughn Gregory, Professor, Educational Foundations
- Description: In this workshop, we will discuss the multicultural sources of Contemplative Pedagogy (Eastern and Western, spiritual and secular), the variety of its aims and methods, and what it means for teacher presence. Our discussion will be interspersed with five contemplative exercises appropriate for college classrooms.
- Take a look at our Events Page for more details!
- SAVE THE DATE! The 9th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase will be featuring keynote speaker Dr. James Lang , Assumption College on May 9, 2018.
- Click here for more info and to register: https://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/
- October 25, 2017: Brownbag - Discussion Techniques for the Classroom. This workshop demonstrates effective discussion techniques for faculty members to use in their classroom. Using best practices from higher education teaching and learning, you will learn quick, small, and easy ways to generate better, more engaging discussions for your students, to deepen participation and learning.
- Location: University Hall ADP Center Room 1145
- Learn more and RSVP here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#fall2017
- Consultation services: need to overhaul your course or teaching approach? Looking for objective, formative feedback on your course or with a particular teaching goal or challenge? Please contact us and let us work together to make your teaching dynamic and your courses engaging for you and your students: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/faculty-services/
- Monday Morning Mentor: check your campus email every Monday morning for a fresh and quick webinar to infuse your teaching with new strategies, new ideas, or emerging best practices. All webinars are asynchronous and available any time, all week through Sunday. Click here for all the full Fall schedule: https://cdn.magnapubs.com/pdfs/Fall_2017_schedule_for_the_Magna_Monday_Morning_Mentor_2.0.pdf
- SAVE THE DATE! The 9th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase will be held on May 9, 2018! Check back often for news, updates, and announcements!
- SAVE THE DATE! The International Scholars Summit on Teaching and Learning will be held on November 10, 2017. More details and a full schedule will be posted soon!
- More events, including guest speakers, workshops, discussion groups, and collaborations will be posted soon; please check back!
Previous Events: Spring 2017
May 10, 2017: 8th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase
- Location: University Hall Conference Center, 7th Floor
- Featuring keynote speaker Dr. Angela Velez-Solic, author of Teaching Online Without Losing Your Mind (2015), Manager & Instructional Design Specialist, Rush Medical College, Rush University. Follow this link to learn more: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/#angelavelezsolicCall for Proposals and Event Info
- 16 topical, relevant, and engaging sessions presented by your Montclair State faculty & staff colleagues, ranging from topics on classroom practice, theory, research, to cultural and social issues on campus and in the classroom and more!
- Breakfast and lunch served.
- 8 raffled giveaways!
Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/
The Research Academy supports and encourages faculty members to attend the 2017 Summer Institute: Teaching, Learning, and Technology, offered by the Technology Training and Integration team from the Office of Information Technology. Learn more and register now: http://www.montclair.edu/oit/training-events/
Past Events (earlier this Spring):
March 17, 2017: Prepared Students, Engaged Discussions, and Other Strategies for Student Engagement and Learning (Brown Bag)
- Presented by: Jullie Dalley, Assistant Director of the Research Academy for University Learning
- Time: 11:30am
- Location:University Hall ADP Center Room 1145
Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#preparedstudents
March 22, 2017: Contemplative Pedagogy and Teacher Presence in the Classroom
- Time: 2:30- 4:00 pm
- Presented by: Dr. Maughn Gregory, Professor, Educational Foundations
- Location: Schmitt Hall Room 125
Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#contemplativeteacherpresence
- March 23, 2017: Embracing diversity and multiculturalism in our classrooms: Addressing pedagogical practices and common teaching challenges
- Presented by Dr. Milton Fuentes, director of the Research Academy, Associate Professor, Psychology
- Location: Student Center Room 413 & 414
- Time: 1:00 pm
Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#embracingdiversityMarch 30, 2017: Navigating the Academy: Putting Written/Unwritten to Work
- Presented by Dr. Patricia Matthew, Associate Professor, English - Explores race and diversity in higher education
- Description of Workshop: Dr. Patricia Matthew will engage the MSU community in an important conversation around the retention of Faculty of Color at our University and across the United States. The session will benefit Faculty of Color and Colleagues and Administrators interested in and committed to these retention efforts.
- Time: 1:00-2:15pm
- Location: Student Center 411/412
- RSVP To: email@example.com
- Webinar Option Available
Office of the Provost, College of Education and Human Services, College of the Arts, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Science and Mathematics, Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, Latino Caucus, African American Caucus, President's Commission on Affirmative Action
National Latina/o Psychological Association; Office of Ethnic Minority Affairs, American Psychological Association
Learn more about Webinar Option and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#spring2017
Past Events (Fall 2016)
- September 27, 2016 - Effective Discussions: Strategies for Student Engagement - Monica Glina, Julie Dalley, and Kathryn Curto lead a discussion and interactive workshop on how to facilitate effective and production discussions that meet learning goals. Techniques such as how to be sure students are prepared (have done the reading, for example), think/pair/share, fishbowl discussions, jigsaw activities, and much more will be presented. Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#fall2016
Provost Series on University Teaching and Learning - October 14, 2016
- "Should I Cancel Class?": Responding to Difficult Issues in the Classroom -
- Featuring guest speaker and inclusive pedagogies expert Dr. Becky Wai-Ling Packard, Professor of Psychology and Education at Mount Holyoke College.
At the national level, conversations have focused on how campuses can be more supportive and responsive to students from a range of diverse backgrounds, with an eye toward racial, gendered, socioeconomic, and religious inclusion, among many other important features of our students' identities. But how do faculty respond to difficult issues when they arise in the classroom, particularly when the pressure to "get it right" is so high, and chances to talk candidly with one another are less frequent than we would like? Which strategies can help us to be more effective in our interactions with our students? Register quickly to save your seat for Dr. Packard's follow up workshop, "Difficult Issues In and Out of the Classroom" (space is limited).
Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#fall2016
- October 26, 2016 - "Getting It Done": Faculty Writing and Balance: Tony Spanakos and Julie Dalley lead a discussion on how to balance writing, research, and teaching, with specific strategies to address the increasing demands of scholarship and teaching. The work of Robert Boice, Ernest Boyer, Kevin Gannon, and David Allen will be presented and discussed, with real practices and strategies developed. Learn more and register here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/#fall2016
- May 10, 2017: Save the date!Throughout the academic year, we will announce more details about our Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase, so mark your calendars now and check back often as we strive to bring you the best and most productive day of faculty development opportunities available all year.
Past Events (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016):
- Spring 2016 Faculty and Student Panels on Mediating Conversations on Critical Ethical Issues on Campus and in the Classroom: Learn more and RSVP now: https://msusurveys.montclair.edu/index.php/876129/lang-en
- Spring Dates Now Confirmed! e-Dialogues and Teaching Circles: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/teaching-circles/
- Due March 14: Engaged Teaching Fellows Program Call for Applications: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/engaged-teaching-fellows-program/
- The 6th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase announces two special guest speakers! Dr. Mel Michelle Lewis, Assistant Professor, Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies at Goucher College, and Keynote Dr. Patrick Blessinger, Executive Director & Chief Research Scientist, International HETL Association, St. John's University. Learn more about their talks and workshops here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/
- Faculty Teaching Circle dates are now posted. Please visit our page to learn more: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/teaching-circles/
- Spring 2015 faculty development workshops are now being confirmed. Topics will include Mindfulness Teaching and Learning, Using Study Guides to Engage and Improve Student Reading Strategies, and more...
- The 2014 University Teaching and Learning Showcase Materials and Resources are available here. Click here to access handouts, Powerpoint presentations.
- To suggest your own event or program, and to provide feedback on programs and events you would like to see offered through the Research Academy, please click here to take our very brief (5 minutes) Needs Assessment Survey:
- September 22, 2014 - Annual Day of Mindfulness.
- May 2, 2014 - The 5th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase will be held on May 2, 2014. Learn more about the Showcase...
To access research, classroom activities and ongoing programs about the emerging practices of contemplative pedagogy, please visit...
The Teaching Times
The Research Academy publishes a bi-annual newsletter with original articles, events, and resources all directly related to engaging the higher education community on issues in teaching and learning.
Read the latest issue...