sample viles
Biology News

Biology Professor is I CAN STEM New Jersey Role Model for February 2023

Dr. Sandra Adams has been named the role model for I CAN STEM this month

Posted in: In the Media

Dr. Sandra Adams in the classroom

Through I CAN STEM, the NJSPN aims to increase the diversity of New Jersey’s STEM workforce and academic pipelines. I CAN STEM highlights diverse STEM role models so that all students will be able to see themselves participating and succeeding in STEM courses and careers. Each year, 12 I CAN STEM New Jersey Role Models are highlighted, one each month.

The NJSPN features both historical and famous I CAN STEM Role Models, such as physicist Shirley Ann Jackson, mathematician Alberto Calderón, and molecular biologist Flossie Wong-Staal, as well as I CAN STEM New Jersey Role Models representing people of color, LGBTQ+ community members and women who work in a STEM field here in New Jersey .

The I CAN STEM New Jersey Role Models were identified through an online nomination process. Nominations for 2023 are closed and nominations for 2024 will begin in September. Anyone can submit a nomination that meets the diversity criteria and works in New Jersey in a STEM field.

The NJSPN was created in 2014 and is managed by the Research & Development Council for New Jersey. It includes over 500 STEM leaders from across the State and connects all STEM stakeholders-K-12, higher education, non-profit, informal providers, business, philanthropists and government. NJSPN has six STEM learning ecosystems as part of an international network of ecosystems supported by the STEM Funders’ Network.

Read Dr. Adams’ Press Release

Learn More

I CAN STEM Jersey STEM Pathways Network and New Jersey’s STEM Ecosystems