Commuter Dining Deposit
New for Fall 2023! Full time undergraduate commuter students will participate in the new Commuter Dining Deposit meal plan program.The Commuter Dining Deposit is intended to encourage student belonging and social interaction, promote student health and wellbeing, combat the growing challenge of student food insecurity and provide students with as much convenience and flexibility as possible while on campus.
To ensure the Commuter Dining Deposit enhances student access to nutrition while on campus, participants will also receive a wide array of special low-cost meal offers, extra discounts and loyalty rewards throughout the semester!
As an extra incentive for students to use these funds to experience all components of the new dining services program, for the 2023-24 year, the University is very pleased to provide every Commuter Dining Deposit participant with an extra $50 in free flex dollars per semester for fall and spring semesters.
Commuter Dining Deposit FAQ
- Who does the Commuter Dining Deposit apply to?
- Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and are taking at least one class on campus
- How do I pay for the Commuter Dining Deposit?
- A charge of $250 per semester will be added to your student account. You can use your financial aid refund to pay for the plan under certain conditions — if you are expecting a refund from financial aid and any portion of your aid is from federal dollars (eg Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Teach Grant, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Graduate PLUS Loan), you can use your refund to pay for the Commuter Dining Deposit by completing the Title IV Funds Authorization form and submitting it to the Office of Student Accounts by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does this plan help commuter students?
- Promotes student health and well-being
- Contributes to a sense of belonging and social connections, and supports increased satisfaction with the college experience
- Provides immediate access to sustenance as well as additional cost saving opportunities for meals while on campus; University data indicates many commuter students experience food insecurity on a regular basis
- Provides access to a wide array of quick and convenient food options within a few steps of your classes
- Eliminates the need to have cash/credit on hand when you need nourishment or want to hang out with friends with on campus
- Gives you up to $100 per academic year in free flex bonus dollars from the University!
- How much does the Commuter Dining Deposit Cost?
- For the price of $250 per semester, each participant will receive $300 flex dollars per semester to use at all dining venues across campus.
- How do I access the $300 flex dollars each semester?
- The $300 flex dollars will be automatically loaded on your student ID card and be ready to use starting the first day of classes each semester. The $300 starting balance will decline with each transaction, just like a debit card.
- What if I run out of flex dollars before the end of the semester?
- You can add additional flex dollars in any amount, at any time either online or by going to the Dining Services Office on the first floor of the Student Center.
- How do I pay for the Commuter Dining Deposit?
- A charge of $250 per semester will be billed to your student account.
- What can I spend these flex dollars on?
- The Commuter Dining Deposit can be used to purchase meals, snacks and drinks at all dining venues on campus, including all-you-care-to-eat at Sam’s and Freeman, all retail dining outlets across campus, vending machines, and convenience store grab and go meals to take home at the end of the day! So long as you have available remaining balance, you can purchase anything you want at any time when campus dining venues are open.
- How much can I spend each week?
- You can spend as much or as little as you want throughout each semester! If you want to stretch your flex dollars out over the whole semester, you can spend about $18.75 per week on average, based on using the full $250 plan plus the $50 free bonus flex.
- Each semester, as you make purchases, those expenditures will be applied first against your $250 flex dollars. Once you spend your initial $250 each semester, you’ll automatically receive access to an extra $50 in free Bonus Flex dollars from the University!
- What happens if I don’t spend all my flex dollars?
- Unspent flex dollars will roll over from fall to spring semester. At the end of spring semester, unspent flex from the Commuter Dining Deposit (not counting the University’s contribution) will be credited back to the student account. If there is an unpaid balance the credit will be applied against the outstanding balance. If there is no balance due, a refund check will be issued.
- What happens if I want to purchase a larger meal plan as a commuter?
- You are more than welcome to purchase a larger meal plan at your discretion, as an addition to the Commuter Dining Deposit. Since the Commuter Dining Deposit is comprised only of flex dollars, you might consider purchasing a meal plan with lower flex dollars (for example select the 125 Block Plan with $250 flex instead of the 125 Block Plan with $500 flex). This would be an additional plan as we are not able to remove the Commuter Dining Deposit from your student account if you continue to meet the full time enrolled undergraduate criteria.
- Can I use the free Bonus Flex from the University without spending any of the flex dollars charged to me in my plan?
- No, you must spend your flex dollars first in order to access the free Bonus Flex from the University.