Montclair State University Graduate Students

New Student Checklist

Welcome to Montclair State University! We have compiled a checklist of things you will need to do as you enroll as a graduate student. While The Graduate School staff is always available to help you, we encourage you to use this website regularly as a resource.


A critical partner in your graduate school experience, your Graduate Program Coordinator can help you with course selection, overall curriculum planning, research opportunities, and career goals. You can find your Graduate Program Coordinator here.


NEST is the primary web gateway for student and faculty/staff self-service. NEST will give you single-sign-on access for many current and upcoming products including Self-Service Banner (SSB).

Please note: New Students should set up their University NetID prior to logging in to NEST.  See the Email/NetID section below for more information on claiming your NetID. If you are having trouble with claiming your NetID, please contact the University Information Technology help desk at or 973-655-7971 option 1.

Through NEST students are able to:

  • Register for classes.
  • Pay tuition bills.
  • Review academic audit.
  • Review financial aid award information.
  • Access the University catalog via CourseLeaf.
  • Access Quicklinks to Canvas, Email, Library & the University directory.


The Graduate School registration system is entirely online on NEST. You may also view the schedule of courses online through NEST. An up-to-date listing of courses is posted on NEST under course sections or course section search.

On the Office of the Registrar website, you can find more information including the registration time calendar, how to read the class schedule, and how to register for classes.

For more information about NEST and the other upcoming OneMontclair software, please visit the OneMontclair website. If you have any questions about the NEST, please contact


All new graduate students must set up their NetIDs.

Please note: New Students should set up their University NetID prior to logging in to NEST.  If you are having trouble with claiming your NetID, please contact the University Information Technology help desk at or 973-655-7971 option 1.

NetID will:

  • Give you a unique electronic identity for access to university online services, including email.
  • Set up your email account so that you can:
    • Receive vital university communications.
    • Communicate with faculty and fellow graduate students.
    • Gain off-campus access to library databases and other resources.
    • Participate in various campus listservs for up-to-date event, deadline, and campus news.
    • Forward email from your Montclair account to your personal email account.

Please note that you MUST sign up for a Montclair State University email account as you will be held responsible for the information and campus notifications sent via the Montclair email system. The University and The Graduate School’s main source of communication is the Montclair State University email address. It is extremely imperative you check your Montclair email address. Once you set up your Montclair State email account, you will have the option of forwarding your University email to your personal email account.

For more information, please contact the University Help Desk at 973-655-7971.

Financial Aid

US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for student loans, which are the primary funding source for graduate students. In order to be eligible for any kind of student loan you must be registered for at least five credits, or half-time, during a semester.

Financial Aid Options for International Students

Financial Aid Application Process and Deadlines

Paying Your Term Bill

We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money orders, E-check, and credit cards. Payments can be made in person or online and we also have payment plans available. A mandatory New Student Enrollment Fee will be assessed to your account. This fee may be assessed to your account before or after you pay the term bill. Please note that statements will no longer be mailed to students. You must log into NEST for your account summary. For more information on how to pay your term bill, please visit the payment options section of the Student Accounts website.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation will take place on Monday, August 19th at 4:00 pm. Check back for registration!

Graduate Development Conference

The Graduate Development Conference will take place at the beginning of the fall semester. Check back for event details! Please visit this page in July for registration information.

Identification Cards

Registered Montclair State University students will need a Montclair State University ID card to use the library, computer labs and access Red Hawk dollars – the money placed on your ID card to spend on meals, books, etc.

Health Insurance

Montclair State requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students to carry health insurance. The University has arranged for a plan to be available for students who have no other coverage, for a small fee. Full-time students are automatically enrolled in this plan and charged the insurance premium. Students have the option to waive the plan if covered by another carrier. Waivers must be submitted by the established deadlines. To waive the plan  and for more information on the health coverage plan, please visit:


All incoming students are required to submit proof of immunization as a pre-condition of enrollment.

  • New Jersey State Law (P.L. 2000c.25) requires that all full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella as a prerequisite to enrollment. Full time students also require proof of Hepatitis B.
  • Documented proof of immunity must be submitted to University Health Center, Blanton Hall, prior to enrollment. Information must be submitted online to your MyHealth Portal (not handed in/faxed to the UHC).
  • New Jersey also requires that all incoming full-time students who will be living in Montclair State University residence halls must provide proof of immunization against meningococcus (meningitis) as a condition of attendance.
  • Failure to submit the required documentation will result in the denial of future registration privileges.
  • You can obtain additional information and Montclair State Immunization Information Forms from the University Health Center.
  • Please follow the instructions on the University Health Center to submit proof of immunizations. Please note that the University Health Center will not accept paper forms of immunization documents. You MUST submit scanned proof of immunization through the My health web portal.
  • University Health Center Phone: 973-655-4361 Fax: 973-655-4159

International Students only: Registration & English Language Proficiency Requirement

You must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator / Doctoral Program Director for your program as soon as you arrive in the United States to develop a work program. This is a formal statement of the academic requirements for your degree and must be completed before you can register for classes.

  • Contact The Graduate School regarding registration procedures and specific information about your program.
  • Please be aware that students with F-1 Student Visas must register for at least nine credits each semester in order to maintain their immigration status.
  • International students who earned undergraduate (or graduate) degrees in a country where English is not the official language are required to take the Montclair State ESL placement test and score higher than level IV. Students who do not place at this level will be provided with a list of ESL courses needed to reach an acceptable level of English proficiency. These courses will be added to the student’s program of study, and at least one course MUST be taken in the first semester of graduate study. While all students will be required to take the Montclair State ESL test, only degree-seeking students will be required to register for ESL coursework. Additionally, some Graduate Program Coordinators may decide to require all ESL courses be taken by their students. This requirement cannot be waived. The Graduate School recommends scheduling a date for the exam as soon as possible.

University Bookstore

You can buy your textbooks, computers, software, clothing, supplies and more at the University Bookstore.

To purchase textbooks visit the Bookstore, located on the firsts floor of the Student Center, Monday through Saturday, or you may go online. Online ordering is easy and convenient if you know your class schedule and semester. Here’s how to order:

  • Once you select the appropriate term, the bookstore website will help you select your department, course and section.
  • Once you select the right class, the site will display a list of required and recommended textbooks for that class.
  • Put your books in your shopping cart and continue to order your books for each of your classes.

Bookstore contact:


  • All graduate students must purchase a parking permit and register any vehicle parked in surface lots. The parking permit must be displayed as outlined in the Parking Rules and Regulations.  
  • Commuter students may park only in General Parking Lots: 18-28, 30, 32, 40, and 41.
  • Hourly paid parking is available in the Red Hawk Parking Deck.
  • A limited number of Red Hawk parking passes are available each year.
  • Paid parking is also available in metered spaces for a maximum of two hours.
  • For more information, please contact Standard Parking, Level 1 of the Red Hawk Deck at 973-655-7580.
  • Campus maps are available at The Graduate School Office, Parking Services, and the Student Center Information Desk.

Directory Information and Privacy Act

  • The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) permits the university to release directory information about a student unless the student specifically requests that this information be withheld.
  •  If you do not wish to have directory information released, please notify the Office of the Dean of Students (Student Center, 4th Floor) within the first week of each semester.
  • For more information, please refer to the Academic Regulations & General Information section of the Schedule of Courses booklet.