Below is a complete list of library departments, primary contact information and links.
The Office of the Dean oversees all library departments and is responsible for all library operations and activities.
Fax Number, Office of the Dean
The Access Services Department facilitates physical access to Sprague Library’s circulating books and reserve materials collections and offers a variety of services to Library patrons, including:
- registering for borrowing privileges
- checking out, renewing and returning circulating books
- placing hold and recall requests for books in circulation
- helping patrons navigate the library and find items in the library
- searching for missing books
- managing the payment of library fines and fees
- managing library reserves
We are located immediately to the left once you enter the front entrance of the Library. Please see our hours.
Denise O’Shea, Department Head
Cataloging, Metadata and Archive Services
Through the creation and maintenance of metadata records in the Sprague Library Catalog, the Cataloging Department supports the University’s educational and research programs by providing accurate and complete access to all of the various resources of the Library – print, media and electronic, in a timely and efficient manner. Department webpage: Cataloging, Metadata and Archive Services
Collection Development and Acquisitions
The Acquisitions Department’s role in the Library is to analyze, evaluate and develop the collection and to acquire library material in support of the instructional, research and informational needs of students, faculty and the University community; to manage and expand the library materials budget; and to improve the quality and efficiency of acquisitions in support of the Library’s mission.
The Library’s policy on selecting, evaluating, weeding, replacing and retaining Library resources and in developing collections in all formats is provided in our Collection Development Policy (2017) (PDF).
The Harry A. Sprague Library has been a selective federal documents depository since 1967. As a member of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP), the Library collects documents on a wide range of topics from the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government, to support the Montclair State University curriculum. Agencies that are well represented include the Departments of Commerce, Housing and Urban Development, Justice, Labor, State and the Treasury. In addition, we procure many Federal Reserve Bank and Government Accounting Office (GAO) documents. The Montclair State collection is especially strong in the areas of environmental management, health and human services, education, and business. Sprague Library’s government documents are available for public use in the library. However, borrowing is limited to faculty, staff and students, and valid guest and community borrowers at Montclair State University.
- Federal Government Resources
- International Government Information
- New Jersey Government Information Resources
- Statistical Resources Guide
Multimedia Resources Department
The Multimedia Resources Department strives to meet the informational needs of the University community and to support the curriculum by working with the faculty in the collaborative development of the Library’s multimedia resources and services.
Primary responsibility for ordering materials lies with the Multimedia Resources Department Head who welcomes suggestions from faculty members, other librarians, students, staff and general library users.
We are located on the lower level of Sprague Library. Please see our hours.
Services and Policies:
- Technology and Equipment
- Multimedia Classroom Policy
- Study Spaces – Faculty and Graduate/Group Study Rooms/Listening and Viewing Rooms
- Multimedia Request Form
Lists, Guides and Resources
- Kanopy (Provides streaming video films and documentaries licensed by the Library which can be viewed by Montclair State University students, staff and faculty. Access to other films on Kanopy is mediated. Faculty can request these films by completing the Library’s Kanopy Request Form.)
- Major Microfilm and Microfiche Collections
- Streaming Video and Audio
- Video/DVD/Streaming Video List
Multimedia Service Desk
The Periodicals Department manages the periodical collection. We welcome recommendations and suggestions from University faculty (including adjuncts) and staff for new periodical titles to add to our collection. To see a list of periodicals the library subscribes to, consult the Journals A – Z list.
Borrowing Print Periodicals
- Contact the Periodicals Department Head if you are interested in borrowing print periodicals.
- Montclair State University faculty (including adjuncts), staff, graduate assistants and doctoral students can borrow periodicals out of the Library.
- A current Montclair State University ID is needed to borrow a periodical.
- Borrowers are responsible for all items taken out of the Library on their University ID. Borrowing privileges will be suspended until overdue items are returned.
- Periodicals can be borrowed for five days with no renewals. A total of five items can charged-out at one time.
- Current issues in the Magazines On Display section cannot be charged-out.
- New Jersey Union List of Periodicals (JerseyCat) – Gives you periodical holdings information for many New Jersey libraries.
Research and Reference Services
Reference Librarians are available to help you with all of your information and research needs. Get help with research for your assignments and classes during a customized one-on-one session at the Reference Desk (or over the phone/online). We also work with entire classes at the request of the course instructor. Interlibrary Services is also part of the Reference Department to help get you materials from other libraries (ones we don’t already have!).
We are located straight ahead once you enter the front entrance of the Library. Please see our hours.
|Catherine Baird||Online and Outreach Services Librarian||973-655-7144|
|Laura Levy||Evening Reference Librarian||973-655-7148|
|Siobhan McCarthy||Reference Librarian and Interlibrary Loan||973-655-7146|
|Kevin Prendergast||Reference Librarian and Interlibrary Loan||973-655-7143|
|William Vincenti||Reference Librarian||973-655-7147|