ILL Request Forms
Request a book, article or book chapter from another library (see exclusions below):
- Books Requests are currently suspended due to COVID-19 related closures
- Journal Articles
- Book Chapters
ILL User Portal
Check the status of your requests, retrieve articles and renew loans:
Document delivery services are provided for faculty, graduate students in online-only programs, users at the Broad Street campus, and for those needing accessibility accommodations. Please use the interlibrary loan request forms above and note your affiliation or any accessibility requirements in the comments section. For microfilm and microfiche requests, please use the microfilm copying request form.
Double check that the library doesn’t own it by checking the Journals A-Z list for the title of the journal (e.g. “New England Journal of Medicine”):
You can also check Google Scholar to see if there is a version of the article available for free online as Open Access. Logging in using the following link will also check the library’s collection for the article:
- Google Scholar (Montclair State University NetID Login)
If the article is not available, place a request using the Article form here:
Note: If an article is available in print or microfilm in the Sprague Library, your ILL will be canceled. Please ask a librarian if you need assistance finding an article in this format.
Please allow up to seven business days for us to fill your article request. Average turnaround time for articles is 2-4 business days. If you need an item sooner, ask a Librarian for additional options.
Book or Book Chapter
Double check the library catalog to make sure the library doesn’t own it:
If the book is not owned, place a request using the Book form here:
If you only need a copy of certain pages or a chapter, you can use the Book Chapter form to request a scan of the pages you need. If the number of pages exceeds 50 pages, or 10% of the book, we will request the entire book to adhere to copyright restrictions.
Thesis or Dissertation
The library subscribes to ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global database, which has the full-text of thousands of dissertations and theses from universities worldwide. Before requesting a dissertation or theses, double check both the database and the library catalog to make sure that the library does not have access to it:
You can also check Google or Google Scholar to see if the dissertation is available for free online as Open Access, or from a University website:
If the dissertation or theses is not available in either location, place a request using the Book form here:
Please allow up to three weeks for us to fill your dissertation or thesis request. Average turnaround time for electronic items is 2-4 days, or 7-10 business days for print items. If you need an item sooner, ask a Librarian for additional options.
- When should ILL be used?
- Interlibrary Services borrows books and obtains copies of articles from other institutions for Montclair State Library patrons when the Library does not own the book or article requested.
- Who can place ILL requests?
- Current Montclair State University faculty, staff and students.
- Who is ineligible for ILL?
- Retired Montclair State University staff and faculty, alumni, students who are not currently enrolled, and members of the public.
- What does it cost?
- Free, unless otherwise specified (such as a rare or overseas item). In these rare cases, you will not be charged unless the library contacts you first.
- Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library and are not guaranteed. If your renewal request is denied, you will need to return the book on its original due date.
- Most textbooks, archival items, and some overseas items are excluded from ILL due to availability. If your request is denied, contact the ILL department for additional options.
- Requests may be rejected if the material is available in person at the Sprague Library (e.g. microfilm, or chapter requests for books in the collection.)
- Document Delivery is available for faculty, distance learning programs, remote users and for some remote storage materials.
- The deadline for undergraduate ILL book requests is two weeks before the end of the semester.
Please allow up to three weeks for us to fill your book request. Average turnaround time for chapter scans is 2-4 days, or 7-10 business days for books. If you need an item sooner, ask a Librarian for additional options.
By utilizing this service, you are agreeing to abide by Title 17 of the U.S. Code, which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use”, that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Interlibrary Loan Department
Harry A. Sprague Library
Reference Department, Room 123
Hours: M-F 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.