Montclair State University’s PhD program in Mathematics Education prepares students for careers as mathematics educators at two- and four-year colleges, mathematics curriculum developers, researchers, leaders in school districts and educational agencies, and research-based teachers in the classrooms.
Students enter the program with a variety of experiences and interests (curricular, pedagogical, psychological, philosophical, etc.) related to mathematics education. Students work actively with doctoral faculty to refine their research interests throughout their course of study. As many of our students have experience teaching at the secondary and collegiate levels, their research has the benefit of being grounded in, and applicable to, practice.
While enrolled in the program, students become immersed in research, network with other doctoral students, work with faculty on projects, and develop their own projects, all while taking courses that prepare them for these experiences. Please see our current projects below.
- Apply for the NSF Doctoral Research Assistant Grant (PDF).
- The MSU Westerdahl Fellowships for Doctoral Studies in Mathematics Education provide full tuition and a stipend of $25,000 per year, renewable for up to four years.
- Analyzing Instruction in Mathematics using the Teaching for Robust Understanding Framework (AIM-TRU)Eileen Murray (PI) received a grant from Math for America.Thursday October 4, 2018
- Adjunct Mathematics Instructor Resources and Support: Improving Undergraduate Precalculus Teaching and Learning ExperienceEileen Murray (PI) and Amir Golnabi (Co-PI) received a grant from the National Science Foundation: Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE) Program for $300,000 effective from 08/15/2017 - 07/31/2020 Thursday October 4, 2018
- Prospective Elementary Teachers Making for Mathematical LearningSteven Greenstein (PI) and Eileen Fernandez (Co-PI) received a grant from the National Science Foundation: Discovery Research K-12 for $422,195 effective from 08/21/2018 - 08/31/2020. Thursday October 4, 2018