March 15 (for fall admission)
November 15 (for spring admission)
- Official transcripts are required from each school you have attended.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to request and arrange for all official transcripts to be sent to The Graduate School.
- An official transcript bears the institution’s raised insignia and is individually sealed by their respective Registrar/Records Office. The transcript must arrive unopened in its original envelope. It is highly recommended that the transcript be sent directly from the institution to The Graduate School. If the envelope is opened prior to arriving at the University, it is no longer considered official.
- If you studied under a maiden name or prior name, your institution must indicate both prior and current names on your transcript.
- Do not request a transcript from the Montclair State University Registrar if Montclair is listed on your application as a previous or current institution. The Graduate School will obtain your Montclair State University transcript directly.
- Including your U.S. Social Security number on your transcript or transmittal sheet will expedite processing of your application.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees need not submit transcripts. Instead, they must submit a course-by-course evaluation of their coursework from any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (www.naces.org). Please note: Applicants who have an international education may not apply as a last-term senior.
- General Statement of Purpose: The Statement of Purpose provides you with an opportunity to give evidence of your unique talents and experiences as an applicant to doctoral study at Montclair State University. In preparing your statement, please keep in mind that the Admissions Committee is seeking evidence of your ability to communicate clearly and professionally. Please include your reasons for pursuing doctoral studies by referring to relevant personal, academic and work experiences. You may also wish to outline your future plans and any other information that may be of interest to the Admissions Committee.
- General Statement of Research/Inquiry: The Statement of Research/Inquiry provides you with an opportunity to inform the Admissions Committee of your thoughts, ideas, and areas of interest that may lead to dissertation research. In preparing your statement, please keep in mind that the Admissions Committee is seeking evidence of your ability to communicate clearly and professionally.
Letters of Recommendation
- Three letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter must be from someone who can attest to scholarly potential.
- TOEFL score reporting code: 2520
- The TOEFL is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language (TOEFL Waiver Rules). Moreover, International students must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved evaluator. Visit the naces website for a complete list of sanctioned accreditation agencies as well as The Graduate School’s Graduate Application Procedure.
Important note: Those wishing to be considered for the Montclair State University Westerdahl Fellowship should indicate their interest in an assistantship on their application (for fall admission only)
There is a non-refundable application fee of $60
- When applying online, you will receive a follow-up email giving you the option of paying this fee with your MasterCard or Discover Card.
- You may send a check or money order made payable to Montclair State University to:
The Graduate School, Admissions
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043