Obtaining Form DS-2019 for Scholars

Congratulations on your invitation to Montclair State University. We look forward to welcoming you to our campus.

After you receive your invitation letter from the office of International Academic Initiatives (IAI) the next step is applying for the DS-2019. Submit the following documents to oge@montclair.edu:

1. DS-2019 scholar application.
2. Proof of funding.
3. Proof of highest degree
4. Poof of English proficiency
5. Proof of Insurance
6. Prior DS-2019’s documents if you have been in the US on J-1 status in the past.

*All documents must be in English.


Documentation evidencing financial support for the duration of your stay in the U.S. You will need to show that you have financial resources of at least $2,000 per month for yourself and $650.00 per month for an accompanying spouse/child (under 18).These funds must be liquid assets. If you are receiving funding from your home country, university or an external organization you must provide a letter from the organization detailing the support.

Acceptable documents can include a copy of the Montclair State offer letter, bank statements in English in U.S. dollars on the financial institution’s letterhead, and/or letters in English from sponsoring institutions specifying sponsorship amount, on that institution’s letterhead with their official seal.

English Language Proficiency

Meet the university’s English proficiency requirement (exceptions may be made if you are a
native speaker or received a degree from an English-speaking country):

o TOEFL iBT minimum score – 70
o IELTS minimum score – 6.0
o Duolingo minimum score – 95
o Pearson PTE-A minimum score – 48
o ITEP minimum score – 3.7
o English3 J-1 English Interview minimum score – 3.0
o Language Certificate demonstrating B2 Level or higher based on the European Framework


Visiting scholars are required by the U.S. State Department to purchase medical insurance for themselves and any accompanying dependents. According to 22 CFR 62.14, all J-1 and J-2 Exchange Visitors are required to have and maintain health insurance that meets Department of State’s requirements. A summary of these insurance requirements is as follows:

  1. Major medical benefits must be at least $100,000 for each accident or illness.
  2. Repatriation of remains benefit must be at least $25,000.
  3. Medical evacuation benefit must be at least $50,000.
  4. The deductible for each accident or illness may not exceed $500.
  5. Policy may not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the activities of the exchange program.

* Insurance documents must be in English and US Dollars


Visiting scholars may bring their dependents. Dependents who are minors should be accompanied by another adult. Dependents will receive a J-2 visa. Accompanying spouses on a J-2 visa are permitted to work in the U.S. but must apply for an Employment Authorization Document.  Accompanying children on a J-2 visa can attend school.

Applying for the J-1 visa

Once you receive your DS-2019 then you will need to apply for a J-1 Visa.
1. Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee
2. Make a visa appointment