See the summer library building hours. Come and use our space for study, taking online classes, and take advantage of our services and resources.
Building hours and service hours may vary. Consult the library hours page for Reference Service hours, Multimedia Services (lower level), and Access Services (front desk in the library).
What’s required to enter
Show a current MSU ID card and a completed MSU Hawk Check.
Pass a temperature check.
Follow all CDC and university guidelines as posted.
Wear face coverings and practice social distancing.
Note: No eating is allowed in the library.
What’s Open and Available
- 1st floor study space, 1st floor silent study spaces are open, except for the reference/legal area and reference/legal collection.
- Multimedia study space is open (lower level).
- Borrowing and Interlibrary Services
- Staff will retrieve books and other print materials and bring them to the front desk in the lobby for checkout and pickup.
- Multimedia materials (DVDs, etc.) may be checked out in-person at the Multimedia Service Desk. A drop off box is also available for returns.
- Items (books, DVDs, etc.) may be returned at the desk or through the 24 hour book drop in the entrance to the building.
- Patio pickup of requested library materials is available.
- Print reserves and multimedia reserves
- Interlibrary loans (including print books) can be picked up at the front desk or via Patio Pickup.
- Ask a Librarian online reference service, including chat, email, text, FAQ and appointments. See online reference hours.
- Online research appointments for faculty, staff and students are held via Zoom.
- Online workshops and library classes (arranged by instructors) for students on how to do research and use library resources are held over Zoom.
- One collaborative space is open for use.
- One viewing room is open for use by an individual.
- Scanners, photocopiers, and printing services
- Public computers remain available for library research.
- Services to users with disabilities continue to be available. Contact Steve Shapiro.
- Services for users of the government documents collection are available by appointment. Contact Darren Sweeper, Government Documents Librarian.
- Request forms to request books, ebooks, streaming video, course reserves and more.
What’s Not Available
- Laptop lending
- Group study rooms
- Faculty and Graduate Study Room
- Listening rooms
- Photo studio and photo studio equipment
- 2nd floor and lower level public access to the book stacks. Staff will retrieve requested items from the book stacks and bring them to the desk in the library lobby.
- In-person library classes and instruction. Book an online session instead.
- In-person library workshops. Register for an online workshop instead.
- In person reference services after May 28. Use the online Ask-A-Librarian service instead.
- Public access to the library for non-MSU users (e.g., community borrowers, MSU family borrowers, alumni, VALE borrowers). These patrons can use our patio pickup service as applicable.