Photo of University Hall
World Languages and Cultures

Student Spotlight: Avelisse Guzman, German Major

Posted in: German, Student News

a graphic - image of student Avelise Guzman on the right. Left side is red background with her name and German as her major. Bottom of image had Student Spotlight in script with stars

Avelisse Guzman is a junior German major from Bushkill, Pennsylvania. Avelisse was recently awarded a full scholarship to Middlebury Language Schools.

Why did you choose Montclair State University?
I chose MSU because I got a scholarship and saw the amazing programs it had to offer.

How did you choose your major? 
I chose to be a German major because I could not imagine not speaking German after I graduated college. I knew that this was something I had to dedicate the rest of my life to learning and speaking.

What activities are you involved in outside of class that are related to your program of study?
I attend German Club events on days I am on campus and I work at the German Language school in Morristown and at home I study a lot!

What has been your favorite course within your major and why? 
German 102. I got to speak and learn SO much from Dr. Lafountain. I also enjoyed German 121 because of the grammar themes Dr. Crimmins taught and grammar 205 that Dr. Herold teaches because I’m obsessed with German grammar and he goes really in depth about every topic!

What faculty member has made the most impact on you so far and why? 
Dr. Lafountain has definitely had a strong impact on me because she has always encouraged me when I am being hard on myself and took the time to get to know me and see how passionate I am and how much I love speaking German and learning the grammar. It meant a lot to me that someone extremely skilled believed in me.

What are your goals after graduation? How do you plan to use your degree?
After graduation I plan to become a German teacher or Professor and use all the resources that I have to share my enthusiasm with my future students!