What is Included
Every room has one bed, closet, desk, chair and dresser per student.
What You Can Bring
We’ve compiled a list of approved items you may want to bring with you to your new room.
- Cleaning supplies
- Shower curtains and hooks
- Bath mat
- Toilet paper
- Bedding (Twin Extra-Long)
- Power strip/surge protector
- Iron/ironing board
- Alarm clock
- Reading/desk lamp
- Flashlight and batteries
- Garbage cans and bags
- ATM/bank card (campus uses Bank of America)
- Storage crates
- Laundry detergent
- Clothes hamper and hangers
- School supplies
- Paper towels, plates, utensils, cups
- Small Brita pitcher or water bottles
- Seasonal clothing
- Coffee maker with auto-shutoff
- Microwaves and Refrigerators
- 1 refrigerator is permitted per room.
- Refrigerators must be 3.5 cubic feet or under.
- 1 microwave is permitted per room or apartment.
- Microwaves must be 700 watts or under.
- Bohn Hall and Stone Hall Bathrooms
- Community bathrooms are cleaned and maintained by our housekeeping staff on a daily basis.
- Shower curtains and toilet paper are provided by our housekeeping staff and do not need to be purchased.
- Freeman Hall
- Freeman Hall does not have overhead lighting provided in rooms. Floor/desk lamps must be purchased by residents.
- Additional Supplies for Apartments (Hawk Crossings and the Village)
- Small kitchen appliances (i.e. toaster oven, blender, George Foreman grill, etc.) – limit to one of each type of small appliance per apartment.
- Pots, pans, and cooking utensils
- Village ONLY – dishwasher detergent
- Village ONLY – bar stools
What You Can’t Bring
We’ve compiled a list of items that are prohibited in all of Montclair State University’s Residence Halls:
- Air conditioners
- Kitchen appliances – not permitted in traditional halls (hot plates, rice cookers, Crock Pots, toasters, toaster ovens, electric skillets, coffee makers without auto-shut offs, George Foreman grills, Instant Pots, popcorn makers, deep fryers, waffle makers)
- Blenders and coffee makers with auto-shut offs are the only appliances permitted in traditional halls.
- For apartments, 1 of each type of appliance per apartment is permitted – see special notes above.
- Bed risers
- Candles and Incense
- Candle/wax warmers
- Canopies that hang over beds
- Non-approved power sources (extension cords, multi-plug adapters or anything without UL seal of approval)
- Flammable liquids, charcoal or fireworks
- Outside furniture (anything to replace furniture provided by the University, bed frames, headboards, mattresses, desks, chairs, closets, futons, couches, bean bag chairs, bookshelves, butterfly chairs, ottomans, TV stands)
- Gas, propane or grills
- Gasoline-powered items (mopeds, generators, motorized scooters)
- Non-approved lighting (neon lights and signs, halogen lamps, lava lamps, torchiere lamps, plastic multi-headed octopus lamps)
- Live holiday decorations (trees, wreaths, corn stalks, hay)
- Lock, chain or other locking devices to install on room or bathroom doors
- Space heaters
- Subwoofer speakers
- Pets – only fish in aquariums 5 gallons or smaller permitted
- Weapons and ammunition
For more information on prohibited items, please visit Fire Safety’s Information for Residents web page.
Questions or Concerns?
Contact Residence life at 973-655-5188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.