A student on their laptop looking into making a service request.

Service Requests

General Service Requests.

If you’re having issues with plumbing, carpentry, heat/air (HVAC), housekeeping, furniture or related maintenance, please submit a work request through our online portal.

Digital Television Issues

If you’re having issues with the University’s Digital television service, please visit our Digital Television Service webpage.

Laundry Service Requests

If you’ve had or are having issues with Residential Laundry Equipment please call 1-800-927-9274, submit a service request at this website, or send an email to service@caldwellandgregory.com.

Emergency Service Request

Emergency Service Requests refer to repairs that are necessary to either eliminate a clear threat to life or safety or to prevent extensive building damage. These items must be repaired and corrected immediately. Examples may include flooded areas, hazards to a resident’s security or unlivable housing conditions.

In case of an emergency please contact the Police at 973-655-5222.

Miscellaneous Service Requests

Having Trouble Submitting a Request?

If you should have a problem submitting a work request, please contact the Facilities Service Desk (FSD).

The FSD operates from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Sunday. The office is closed on Saturday. They can be reached by phone at 973-655-5444, or by email at servicedesk@montclair.edu.

See how to submit a work order!