Photo of University Hall
Sociology

Jennifer MacLean, Class of 2018

Posted in: Alumni

Photo of Jennifer MacLean

I graduated from Montclair State in 2018 with a B.A. in sociology, a minor in women and gender studies and a certificate in child advocacy and policy. In February of 2018 I had the honor of presenting my senior research project at the Eastern Sociological Society annual meeting in Baltimore. Being a member of Alpha Kappa Delta was rewarding and allowed me to obtain connections and confidence that I would not have gained otherwise. I am grateful for the support I received from the professors in the department who pushed me to be the best version of myself.

After graduating I was accepted in the MSW program at MSU and will be graduating in May of 2020. My experience at MSU has given me a tremendous ability to empathize and reflect objectively on the diverse conditions in which individuals live. I have utilized the knowledge I acquired to support the clients I work with and intervene across multiple systems rather than taking an individualistic approach. While working with clients I have found myself reflecting on my past sociology classes and research skills to help those in need.

The Sociology major at Montclair has given me the skills and knowledge to be successful in graduate school and my professional and personal life. The classes are intellectually stimulating and provide individuals with the skills to think critically and creatively. The professors in the department will ensure that you are supported and on the road to success.