On-Campus Jobs

I. What kind of on-campus jobs can Montclair State students apply for?

  • Federal Work Study Employment (FWS)
    If you are a recipient of financial aid, you may receive Federal Work Study funds. Look at your award letter or log into WESS to see if Federal Work Study is listed among your loans. If FWS funds are listed, you can apply for FWS jobs.
  • Student Assistant Employment (SA)
    Anyone can apply for a Student Assistant position.
  • Detailed handbooks regarding the Student Employment Program are listed below:
    1. Job titles and pay rates are available in the Employers' Guide to Student Employment Program
    2. Human Resources Student Employment Policy

II. How do I find out what on-campus jobs are available?

Use Career Directions, our Internet job posting system, to search for on-campus jobs.
1. Read the Federal Work Study and Student Assistant descriptions above and determine which positions you would like to apply for. Once you've determined them,

2. Bookmark this page or print the instructions below to facilitate your search

3. Register with Career Directions using your Montclair State email address and password.

4. Once logged in, click on Job Search in the pale blue area at the top of the page.

5. On the right side of the Search page, you will see a category called Position Type. Select either On-Campus Federal Work Study or On-Campus Student Assistant to see those positions.

6. Click Search to see the appropriate job posting (FWS or SA).

7. Fill-out the applications you've printed and bring them to the hiring office listed under Contact Information on the posting.


Q: Where can I get an on-campus job application?
A: Application forms for both Federal Work Study (FWS) and Student Assistant (SA) are available online (see section II above) and in The Center for Career Services and Cooperative Education, Morehead Hall, Third Floor, Room 337.

Q: What are your office hours?
A: During the school year, we're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:30. We have evening hours on Mondays and Thursdays until 7pm. During the summer we're open Monday through Thursday from 8 to 5:15 (there are no evening hours in the summer).

Q: I have FWS funds. Can I apply to SA positions as well?
A: Yes.

Q: How many positions can I apply for?
A: As many as you like.

Q: What do I do when I complete my application(s)?
A: Bring your application to the Contact Person listed in Section I of your application.

Q: Can I get Direct Deposit?
A: Yes. Ask your supervisor to obtain the paperwork from the Payroll office.

Q: I think I could use some help managing my money. Do you have any suggestions for me?
A: Visit our college student money management site

IV. Ethical Conduct Please read.