Good News for 2020 graduates! According to the National Association for Colleges and Employers’ 2020 Job Outlook survey, employers plan to hire 5.8 percent more new college graduates from the Class of 2020 than they did from the Class of 2019. 45.5 percent of employers have plans to increase their individual hiring numbers, due to company growth and success of their internship programs, among other reasons. In fact, many employers plan to increase their hiring by converting more interns to full-time hires!
With college hiring increasing in 2020, it’s important for graduating students to be engaged with the Career Services offices in their college/school. At Montclair State University, each college/school has its own designated career services office, designed to connect you with career and internship opportunities in your field of study! There are many ways to connect with career services! Here are a few that we recommend:
- Meet with a career counselor: you may not know where to look or how to start your job or internship search. From freshman year to graduation, the career counselors in your college/school are there to support you at all stages of your career development.
- Upload your resume on Hire a Red Hawk: When you upload your resume, it is automatically routed to your career services office for review and feedback. it’s important to have a competitive, well-written resume to making a lasting, first impression on hiring employers. Take advantage of this free resource as you begin your job and internship search!
- Attend the Spring 2020 Career and Internship Fairs: Career Services will be hosting industry-specific career and internship fairs throughout the spring semester. Employers from various organizations will be on campus recruiting students and alumni for full-time, part-time and internship opportunities!
- Complete an Internship Before You Graduate: Year-over-year employers report that having internship experience is the most influential attribute when making hiring selections. This year, employers report that they are planning to increase the number of full-time job offers that they extend to their interns. Having completed an internship gives you a competitive edge when entering the job market.
- Attend Career Development Workshops: Did you know that career services at Montclair State offers you career development workshop almost every week in the spring semester? By attending these workshops, you can learn the most effective and efficient ways to achieve your short- and long-term career goals.
- Assess Yourself and Your Career Readiness: When evaluating candidates, it’s clear that there are core competencies that are important to employers. Have you ever taken the time to evaluate your strengths, values and interests? It’s an important step in your career development and career services offers a free, easy-to-use self assessment tool.
Career Services is here to help you! Don’t hesitate to reach out with questions or set up an appointment to learn how to take advantage of the resources we offer.
Source: National Association of Colleges and Employers (2019). Job Outlook 2020. Retrieved from https://www.naceweb.org/job-market/trends-and-predictions/employers-plan-to-increase-college-hiring-by-5-point-8-percent/