Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic support program that identifies difficult courses. Traditionally, SI targets courses that have a high rate of D’s, F’s and withdrawals. SI has been designed to help students enrolled in those courses master the materials through the development and application of learning strategies.
Students looking to find the semester’s schedule can look in Navigate under the same “Make an Appointment/Drop In” selection but should select “Drop In” on the right hand menu which will switch to our Drop In options. From there you can follow the same steps to see their schedules. No appointments are needed from there. You can either enter the zoom link or show up at the session location at the times listed.
If you are having issues accessing Navigate you can also view the Supplemental Instruction Schedule through our google doc. Please be aware you will need to be signed into your Montclair gmail account to view the schedule.
SI leader is a junior, senior or graduate student with the following qualifications:
- Minimum GPA 3.00 or higher
- B+ or better in the course being supported
- Completion of Supplemental Instruction training offered by CAST to integrate “what to learn” with “how to learn”
- Strong commitment and dedication to helping Montclair students attain academic success
- Attend classes, read assigned materials, take notes and serve as a model student
- Conduct out of classroom SI sessions for the students from the same course two or three times a week
- Reinforce students’ interactions and group discussions during SI sessions
- Communicate with the professor from the course on a regular basis
- Attend scheduled meetings with the ASC SI supervisor on a regular basis
- Monitor students’ attendance
- SI sessions are offered to all students in the selected course
- Attendance is voluntary
- Strengthen student academic performance
- Foster proactive learning and enhance student understanding
- Promote teamwork and collaboration
- Reinforce effective study habits and skills