Peer Academic Coaching consists of personalized, one-on-one meetings with a Peer Academic Coach who helps students develop skills as well as behaviors and habits that will contribute to success in college. Coaches tailor their meetings to their students’ needs and provide them with resources. Peer Academic Coaches are trained and their goal is to help students navigate obstacles and to help their fellow peers learn skills to aid in academic success.
Our staff works to create a comfortable and engaging environment for students to further develop their academic skills and knowledge. Additionally, the coaches working at the Center are trained and certified in applying learning strategies and tutoring techniques to help students become more confident and competent learners while facing academic challenges and mastering the course content.
Peer tutoring is course specific so students generally make an appointment to go over a specific topic that they need help with in a class they are currently enrolled in. Peer Academic Coaching has a strong focus on establishing or helping students to enhance the skills needed to be successful academically while sharing campus resources.
- Study more effectively and prepare for your exams
- Learn to write notes more effectively
- Set SMART Goals and stay accountable
- Get more organized and better manage your time
- Conquer procrastination
- Connect to and access campus resources
- And so much more
- Click on the blue “Make an appointment” button on the right-hand side of the web page.
- From the first drop down menu, please select the “Academic Support” option.
- On the next drop down menu, select the service type (peer academic coaching, etc.). Information about the service types can be found below.
- Once the appropriate content area or subject is selected you can then select a specific coach or choose all available times.
- Complete the appointment form providing detailed information on what you would like to meet with the coach about. Please be as specific as possible so the coach may prepare for your appointment.
- What is the goal of the coaching session? (Review for test, help understanding the material better, assist with organization for assignments, etc.)
We ask that appointments be made at least an hour in advance and if you cannot attend, please try to cancel your appointment 2 hours prior so that someone else can utilize your time. Canceling less than 2 hours before an appointment will be counted as a no show in Navigate.
Students who are over 15 minutes late to a meeting or miss their session twice within 30 days are marked as a NO SHOW and will be unable to schedule coaching or tutoring appointments. If you receive an unexpected notice of “Sorry! There are no availability supporting the scheduling of Appointments at this time.” this is likely the cause. Please reach out to CAST support to discuss the missed sessions or wait 30 days from the last missed session for your counter to be rest.
- This coach shifted the way I think, such an amazing person!!
- I was able to leave feeling like I am not alone on this journey.
- My Peer Academic Coach was able to help me identify, organize and create a plan for success. I definitely feel more confident in completing this semester. So grateful to have her.
- I attended two back to back sessions with on test taking and time management and got good information out of the sessions.
- Meeting 1
- Assess student’s situation, identify goals, offer 1-2 strategies for the student to try, and develop accountability plan for attending next meeting
- Meeting 2
- Discuss implementation of strategies, identify modifications and further strategies, and develop accountability plan for attending next meeting
- Meeting 3
- Assess student’s growth since first meeting, discuss habit sustainment, and schedule future meetings as needed
If you have any issues or concerns, please reach out to the CAST at firstname.lastname@example.org.