Campus greenery

Adult Learning FAQs

We have compiled a few frequently asked questions below for your convenience.

What is it like transitioning to a new school?

Transferring from one school and/or starting school again after time away can seem daunting. Because of this, Montclair State University has various offices on campus to assist students with that adjustment. For any academic adjustments or concerns, please remember you have two advisors. You have an advisor in your major and you have a secondary advisor who is a generalist. If you are having issues you can go to either advisor, but know that your secondary advisor is always here to help answer questions and connect you to the right people on campus.

Outside of these advisors, there are offices on campus that also assist with the adjustment. You can utilize the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) which gets you connected to the campus in fun ways, including trips to Broadway and movies on campus. Many of the Adult Learners in the program love that these two things are available through the CSI because it allows them to bring their families to campus to enjoy some of the things we have to offer.

If you are a commuter student, we have an office for Commuter Life. Many students like to participate in the events they hold on campus which are specially geared towards students who are running to campus from work and other obligations.

There is also the Student Recreation CenterKasser Theater, the Drop In CenterAcademic Success Center (for tutoring), the Center for Writing Excellence (located in the library) and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), just to name a few. All of these Centers and Offices have events and opportunities for students to connect to the University and discuss any issues they may be facing.

Can I still work and attend school at the same time?

Whether you are attending full-time or part-time, school is a big commitment. All students should remember that along with classroom time, they should account for time spent studying and working on classwork. With that said, it is still possible for students to work and attend classes. There are some early morning classes that start prior to 8 a.m. and classes run throughout the day until 11 p.m. Even though there is a large variety of days and times for classes, it is important that students understand that not all classes will have early morning, late night or weekend options. If you can only attend classes in the evening (evening classes start at 5:30 p.m.) here is a listing of majors that can accommodate that:AccountingBusiness AdministrationClassics (with online classes)EnglishGeneral Humanities (with online classes)HistoryJustice Studies w/Concentrations in International Justice, Justice Systems or Paralegal StudiesMathematics w/Concentrations in Discrete Applied Mathematics, Mathematics of Finance or StatisticsPolitical SciencePsychologySociology

Many students do juggle work, family responsibilities and school. It will take some effort and time management, but it is doable. During GNED 100 we will speak more about time management. However, if this is really an issue for you right now, please come in so we can speak about it and work on some solutions.

Which classes do I need to take?

Every new Adult Learner has a hold on their account so they can come in to speak with someone from the Adult Learner Program so we can go over the Degree Works Degree Audit. This allows us to go over the major you have chosen, which credits have been transferred to Montclair State University, and which classes and requirements you have remaining. At any time during your tenure, you can look up this information via your NEST Account. If you have questions or are confused we are here to help you.

What is the online learning platform that Montclair State University uses?

Currently, Montclair State University uses Canvas.

Where do I park? How can I get to campus if I don't drive?

Parking on campus does not have to be something you dread. Plan ahead and get to know the numerous locations on campus where you can park. For information regarding parking lots and shuttles please visit the Parking Services website.

For those who do not wish to drive to campus, please note that there are buses that stop on campus and two train stops. For more information for both the train and bus service please visit the Directions web page.

How do I finance my education?

The offices of Financial Aid and Student Accounts, located in Red Hawk Central, work together to assist students in paying their balances.

Financial Aid administers Federal and State aid to students. In order to be eligible, please complete a FAFSA. You can do this on the FAFSA website.

Once you have completed your FAFSA and receive confirmation that it has been processed, it is sent to Montclair State University. That process can take up to two weeks from the day you complete the FAFSA to the day that Montclair State University receives it. Once Montclair State University has your FAFSA, information regarding the amount of aid you will receive will be posted on your NEST account. If you need to turn in additional information to the University, that will also be posted under your NEST account. It is important that you check your NEST account and your Montclair State University email.

Some students are contacted by the New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (NJ HESAA). If you receive notification from them that they need additional information, please submit it to them directly and not to Montclair State University.

How do I submit my tuition payment?

The Office of Student Accounts is where you will remit payment. They are responsible for all forms of payment outside of Federal and State aid and for private loans. If you are paying via cash, check, money order, outside scholarship or payment plan, it will go directly to the Student Accounts office.

Students that are interested in the payment plan option should start the process as early as possible. You can learn more about payment options on the Payment Options web page.