Each year, a faculty advisory committee selects a book to be read by all incoming first-year students before they arrive. The goals of this program are to:
- Provide a common intellectual experience
- Engage in interdisciplinary dialogue and debate
- Build community around a shared understanding of relevant issues
- Celebrate the written word
- Offer opportunities for students to reflect on their roles as readers and learners
- Encourage campus-wide engagement with the book’s theme
For our third selection, the Montclair Book Faculty Advisory Committee chose The Devil’s Highway, by Luis Alberto Urrea. We hope you enjoy reading The Devil’s Highway as much as we did!
You can purchase The Devil’s Highway at the Montclair State Bookstore. View the Montclair Book Flyer 2013.
2013 Montclair Book Events:
September 19th — University Hall, 7th Floor Conference Center
CWE Presents . . .
Luis Alberto Urrea reading from his novel, The Hummingbird’s Daughter.
Montclair Book Keynote
Luis Alberto Urrea will speak about his experiences researching and writing The Devil’s Highway. A book signing will follow.
These events are free and open to the public.