Photo of students during counseling session.

Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

General Contact Information
Ms. Lisa Ellis
Coordinator of All Certification Programs, Student Assistance Coordinator
Dr. Amanda Baden
Director, PhD in Counseling
Dr. Muninder Ahluwalia
Coordinator, Counseling Program – School/Student Affairs/Higher Education Concentration
Dr. Matthew Shurts
Coordinator, Counseling Program – Clinical Mental Health/Addictions Concentration
For general inquiries about the Doctoral Counseling program, please contact: or 973-655-3133
For general inquiries about the Masters in Counseling program, please contact: or 973-655-7216
For general inquiries about our Certificate programs, please contact
Where do I find graduate study forms (e.g., comps, change of program, etc.)?
Follow this link to get various forms needed throughout graduate school:
How do I apply for admission for graduate study at Montclair State University?
Follow this link to apply online or to download forms:
How to Apply
What are some important deadlines/dates?
Follow this link for the academic calendar for Montclair State University:
Academic Calendar
As a student, where can I go on campus for personal counseling services provided by professionals other than counseling program faculty and students?
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers short-term individual and group counseling to students, as well as a variety of educational and consultative services designed to promote wellness in the campus community. CAPS is located in Russ Hall–The phone number is 973-655-5211 or visit the CAPS website.

FAQ – Counseling Program

Where do I find information about the Comprehensive Exams?
Please visit the Comprehensive Exam Information page.
I am interested in becoming a counselor, but to be honest, I am not exactly sure what a counselor does. Where can I learn about the counseling profession?
Two excellent sources for information about the counseling profession are the American Counseling Association and the National Board of Certified Counselors. To learn about specific specializations within the profession, consult the websites of the various divisions within ACA. We also encourage you to conduct several informational interviews with professional counselors in a variety of settings in order to get a more personal perspective.
Do I need a teaching degree and/or experience before enrolling in this masters program?
No. No teaching degree or experience is required to enroll in the Program, nor is it needed to become certified as a school counselor in New Jersey.
What are the admission requirements?
Candidates for admission to the Counseling Program are required to submit a completed application, a personal statement, official transcripts of previously attended undergraduate and graduate programs, and two letters of recommendation, one of which should be academic in nature. Applicants with a GPA below 2.9 will not be considered for admission. For further information about the admissions process and additional requirements, please consult The Graduate School website.
I am planning on enrolling full time. How long is the program?
In general, most of our full-time students may complete their program in approximately 2.5 – 3 years.
I have a full-time job and a family. Can I attend your program part-time?
Most of our students are just like you and attend classes on a part-time basis. For this reason, the many of our classes are in the evenings. Some Saturday and weekend courses are offered, as well as some hybrid.
What is the application deadline?
Fall Admissions: February 1
Spring Admissions: October 1
Where are students placed for Internship?
Students find internship settings consistent with their chosen concentration. These settings include, but are not limited to, K-12 schools, mental health agencies, substance abuse facilities, district offices and college settings.