Addictions Certifications

Lisa Ellis
Clinical Specialist/Coordinator, Certified Drug and Alcohol Counseling (CADC) /Student Assistance Coordinator (SAC)
Phone Number: 973-655-7267

The Department of Counseling and Educational Leadership at Montclair State University offers students the opportunity to take a sequence of graduate courses as required by the New Jersey Department of Education for Student Assistance Coordinator (SAC), through the Student Assistance Coordinator program.

The MSU SAC program fulfills the academic requirement needed to obtain a SAC Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) from the NJ Department of Education. In addition, a residency (paid employment under SAC supervision for six months) is required. Please review the steps outlined by the NJDOE for further detail on the NJ SAC certification process and requirements, specifically the Licensure and Certification website of the DOE.

The counseling program also offers a sequence of coursework for Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) eligibility. Additional CADC requirements are listed below and on the Addictions Professionals Certification Board of New Jersey Webpage.

The CADC (and LCADC) credentials are overseen by the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs Licensing board (Alcohol and Drug Counselor Committee). These applications are on their website and include all requirements for obtaining certification or licensure. The MSU CADC program fulfills the academic requirement for obtaining certification.

The courses offered in the counseling program are designed to meet the professional development needs of aspiring SACs or CADCs.

Applicants with an earned master’s degree in counseling may apply to the SAC or CADC programs independently.

Additional CADC Requirements

  • 3,000 hours of supervised work experience, including at least 300 hours of supervised practical training in all core areas
  • Participation in at least 30 alcohol and drug abuse self-help meetings
  • Successful completion of an oral and written examination

Please consult the website and the New Jersey Consumer Affairs Division if you have questions or need further information.

For further information on certification, contact the New Jersey Certification Board.