Montclair State University, in partnership with the Newark Public Schools, is offering an innovative teacher preparation program known as the Newark-Montclair Urban Teacher Residency (NMUTR).
The Newark Montclair Urban Teacher Residency program is an initial teacher certification program for college graduates and career changers with a deep commitment to urban education. Students pursue a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) with teacher certification in either Early Childhood (P-3)/Special Education or Secondary Education (K-12) Mathematics or Science from Montclair State University.
Working from the model of medical residencies, and based on research about successful teacher preparation programs, the NMUTR:
- Embeds Residents in the schools and classrooms of the Newark Public Schools (NPS)
- Provides on-site coursework in a cohort-style environment of no more than 15 students
- Matches each Resident with a school-based Master Mentor Teacher
- Provides graduates from the NMUTR with intensive induction support, mentoring and professional development through their first three years of teaching
Residents in the NMUTR also benefit from the following:
- A living stipend of $26,000 – $30,000 provided during the residency
- A tuition waiver covering approximately two-thirds of the tuition cost
- Hiring preference by the Newark Public Schools
The NMUTR is in its final grant year. We are no longer accepting applications.