The Department of Teaching and Learning offers rigorous programs that graduate highly skilled and well-prepared teachers to meet the challenges and promises in today’s schools. Our vision is to transform education by preparing educators who demonstrate teaching excellence, democratic practice and a commitment to social justice and inclusivity, and who are equipped to recognize and disrupt systemic and social inequality. Additionally, the department showcases a rich cadre of scholar-practitioners with expertise across content areas, in special education and educational technology, among other fields.
We offer the following certification and certificate programs:
- Initial certification in: Early Childhood Education (Preschool – Grade 3), Elementary (Kindergarten – Grade 6) at the undergraduate and graduate (Master of Arts) levels.
- Additional certifications available in: Teacher of Students with Disabilities, Reading Specialist, and Bilingual and Bicultural Education
- Subject area certification
- Certificate programs in: Developmental Models of Autism Intervention and Learning Technologies
- Advanced graduate programs: Master of Education in Inclusive Education, Master of Arts in Reading, Post-Baccalaureate Program – Content Area, Master of Education in Special Education, Master of Arts in Teaching (MAG-Subject-Area Certification), Dual Certification: MAT in Subject Area (P-12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TSD)
University Hall, Room 3162
Montclair State University
One Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
Hours of Operation
Between September and May, all academic departments in the College of Education and Human Services will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
During the summer months, from June through August, the University is closed on Fridays. College departments and offices are open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.