Illustration of tablet, laptop, and mobile devices.

Montclair State students participate in Startup Weekend

Posted in: Classes, Events

Three Montclair State students in the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship’s intro course are participating in Startup Weekend tonight. The three students in ENTR 201 “Entrepreneurial Mindset and Innovation” are spending most of the weekend at the JuiceTank offices in Somerset where the marathon sessions take place.

Myla Ramirez, a senior molecular biology major, said she wanted to be in an “environment of a fast-moving entrepreneurship culture that I find interesting,” and she wants to learn “what it takes to start a business…and also, just be inspired.”

Freshman Altarik Banks is participating to “surround myself with like-minded people” and to network.

Sophomore English major Tim Kiss signed up “mostly to observe, for when I’m ready” to start a business.

Organizers had to turn people away for Startup Weekend, which drew 120 people with another 30 people on the waiting list. One man on the waiting list showed up, hoping to be allowed in (he was).

The event runs 6:30-10 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, which doesn’t leave a lot of time for homework.

“I have not figured that out yet, to be honest,” Ramirez said.

I will check back in on the three students, and their teams’ progress, on Sunday.