The members of Mavo Care took first-place in Montclair State University’s Inventors Day for Aspiring Entrepreneurs. From left, Lisa Noesi, Nicole Curley and Kenna Brockway. (Photo by Aaron Houston)

2019 Contest Results

Our winners of our 2019 pitch contest were:

First Place – $50,000:
Mavo Care:
Lisa Noesi, gender sexuality & women’s studies
Kenna Brockway, visual communications design
Nicole Curley: visual communications design

Second Place – $20,000:
Anthony Russo, marketing
Robert McPherson, computer science

Third Place – $10,000:
Good Deed Bead:
Lauren Elwell, alumna 2018 (was family and child studies)
Jacqueline Lynch, sports, events & tourism marketing

Read about the 2019 contest and winners.
View photos from the 2019 contest.
Watch the Recap Video from the event!

The Preliminary Round consisted of the following, due in March 2019:

  • a. Signed pitch competition team agreement (all team members must complete and sign the agreement; one agreement per team)
  • b. Video of no more than 2 minutes, zero seconds in mp4 format only.
  • c. One-page executive summary

Only current Montclair State University students and alums were eligible to enter.

Contest Prizes and Payment Process

The contest featured a prize pool of $80,000 awarded as follows:

  • First prize: $50,000
  • Second prize: $20,000
  • Third prize: $10,000

At each prize level, 20 percent of the award goes directly to the team members and the remaining 80 percent must be invested in the startup venture under the coaching of the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship

Hear from the 2018 Winners

In the videos below, last year’s first-prize winner, Wheatpaste, offers advice and insight on how they succeeded in the contest.

Wheatpaste Team Profile:

Wheatpaste on What Makes a Good Idea:

Wheatpaste on Preparing for the Pitch Competition:

Wheatpaste on How They Won the Contest:

Contact Information

Questions about the contest should be addressed to: