2020 Pitch Contest
Startup Montclair, our annual pitch contest, will be held in spring 2020 to identify the most innovative ideas, with a panel of judges awarding prizes to the most compelling concepts. Any Montclair State student and alum can enter the competition.
Learn more about the contest at a workshop on Jan. 30 at 10 a.m., in room 080 of the Feliciano building, as Wix shares tips on how to build a website you can use in your contest pitch.
The contest consists of three rounds. Important dates to know:
March 19 by 4 p.m. – First-round submissions due
April 22 – Semi-final live pitches
May 1 – Final live pitches
The first round will consist of submitting a 2-minute video and one-page executive summary highlighting your innovative idea. More details and submission link will be posted soon.
Teams will compete for the following prizes:
1st place – $25,000 cash* + industry support (details below)
2nd place – $10,000 cash* + industry support (details below)
3rd place – $5,000 cash* + industry support (details below)
* For cash prizes, 20 percent of the award goes directly to the team members and the remaining 80 percent must be invested in the startup venture under the coaching of the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation. See team agreement for more info.
Industry support is valued at more than $31,000 and includes:
- Cloud credits and business tech support from AWS Start-Ups
- Free provisional patent applications, provided by Gearhart LLC
- Website support from Wix including but not limited to:
- (1) Hands-on Wix workshops on how to plan a website, use the Wix platform, explore design features, and learn about advanced digital marketing like SEO and email marketing.
- (2) A one-year free coupon code for students to upgrade their site to any of Wix’s Website or Business Premium Plans. This will allow students to connect to their own domain (i.e. www.mybusiness.com), utilize Google Analytics, design a professional logo, unlimited bandwidth, and more.
- (3) One-to-one sessions with Wix designers to provide professional guidance and design feedback on how to take their website to the next level.
- Dedicated desk(s) & access to co-working space within the Feliciano Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation from June 2020 until December 2020.
- Option for prize money to be paid as work stipend, depending on team composition and at the discretion of faculty mentor upon achievement of mutually agreed upon milestones.