Students wishing to take a language offered in the Department of World Languages and Cultures must adhere to the Language Placement Policy as stated below:
• To pursue that Language at MSU, Take the Language Placement Test and speak to a WLC Advisor
• Placed at 2nd Semester level? Take 2 sequential courses
• Placed at 3rd Semester level? Take 1 course
• Dept. policy states that the appropriate level for students who have had two years of one of our languages in high school is at least 112.
But don’t stop there!
Speak to a WLC Advisor about special opportunities, Minors and Majors for Global Fluency!
• Take 1st and 2nd semester courses in that Language
• Speak to a WLC Advisor to learn about special opportunities like LBC, Internships, Study Abroad, Certificates!
• Consider a Minor or Major in languages other than English for Global Fluency!
• The Language Placement Test is recommended!
• Transferring with 1 course? Take 1 more
• Transferring without? Take 1st and 2nd semester
• No Placement Test! Take 2 sequential courses
• Speak to a WLC advisor about special opportunities, like Internships, BA/MA Programs, Certificates, Minors and Majors in your language and others!
• You can get credit for your language experience with the NYU Test,
call: 212-998-7030 Proctoring at ASC: x4476
The Placement Exam may be taken on-line: Language Placement Testing.
Students may not place themselves in a certain course level without taking the exam and finding out their placement score.
For inquiries: Contact Jamal Shahin, at email@example.com or 973-655-5186.
Consider the Power of Plurilingualism!
World Languages and Cultures
Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian
Spanish and Latino Studies
Latin and Ancient Greek
American Sign Language