General FAQS

What Are General Education Requirements?

General Education is the core of the educational experience at Montclair State University. The coursework includes several main areas of study: writing and speech, the arts and humanities, math, science and computer science, physical education and the social sciences. These courses combine the strength of the liberal arts curriculum for our students.

What Is a Major and a Minor?

A major is a focused series of classes in a particular discipline and the main component of a student’s academic studies at Montclair State. Students must have and/or declare a major but, if desired, students can change majors throughout their time at Montclair State University.

A minor is optional and is an added focused series of classes in a particular discipline but requires fewer credits than a major. Minors can help expand the major course of study or focus on other areas of interest.

How do I change my major?

Prior to fall courses beginning, incoming freshman students may submit a Change of Major Request to Undergraduate Admissions.

When do I register for classes?

Please complete the First-Year Schedule Questionnaire as soon as possible. Your schedule will not be finalized until the FYQ is completed. Please refer to Step 8 on the Accepted Freshman Checklist. After your schedule is built, your academic advisor will invite you to a welcome meeting to talk about what to expect before the fall semester begins.

What GPA Must Students Maintain to Avoid Academic Probation?

All students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA to be in good academic standing. If a student’s cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, they will be placed on probation and have one semester to bring their cumulative GPA to a 2.0 or higher.

Where Can I Go to Have Advanced Placement (AP) Or Transfer Credits Evaluated?

During the summer, students can bring a copy of their official transcripts or score sheet to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Please provide an official transcript and/or AP score report to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students may request that these items are sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions. Please refer to Step 10 on the Accepted Freshman Checklist. Students will receive a credit evaluation within 10 days of submitting their official documents.

Is My Student Required to Have Health Insurance and Is It Provided by the University?

Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time undergraduate and graduate students as defined by the University. A fee for coverage will be automatically included in the fall or spring bill for full-time students. If you’re already covered, you can opt out and waive these charges.

Where Is the Health Insurance Waiver? (Domestic Students)

The form is located at the University Health Plans website.

Students must waive or enroll in the school-sponsored insurance plan each academic year by the deadline.

Where Is the Health Insurance Waiver? (International Students)

International students do not have access to the online enrollment and waiver forms. International students are automatically enrolled prior to the waiver deadline date. If an international student has a plan that is filed and approved in the United States, typically approved plans are offered through a US employer or embassy, then the student must email University Health Plans to request the international student waiver form.

International Students may contact University Health Plans at 833-251-1705 or

Where Can Questions About Billing and Payments Be Answered?

Once the student begins their career at Montclair State, any questions must be made by the student. They can find any answers by looking at the bill in NEST, our online system for maintenance of all academic, financial and personal information. Students can also call or visit Red Hawk Central for assistance with billing, refunds, financial aid disbursements, payment plans or assistance concerning received payments, admission deposits, room deposits and orientation fees.

What Does Safety in the Residence Halls Look Like?

The residence halls are equipped with several safety features such as the Card Access System – University ID cards are used to gain access to residence halls, but a key will still be required to enter their room. The Village has a separate card for access to the main doors. All halls have a 24 hour information desk at the front of their entrances. These desks can be used to assist students in identifying University staff who should be on the floor and to connect with other University safety personnel.

Emergency call boxes are located in some parking areas and at the entrance of many residence halls which will directly connect you to University Police. Finally, all halls have security patrols performed by the Residence Life staff twice each evening with a staff member on call to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day!

What Meal Plans Are Available for Students?

On-Campus Students: All students living in Blanton, Bohn, Freeman, Russ, Sinatra, and the Heights are required to participate in a meal plan.

Commuter Students: Full-time undergraduate commuters who are enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and are taking at least one class on campus will participate in the new Commuter Dining Deposit meal plan program. $300 flex dollars will be automatically loaded on your student ID card. You will see a charge of $250 per semester that will be billed to your student account.

Your meal plan can be used to purchase meals, snacks, and drinks at all dining venues on campus, including at Sam’s and Freeman, all retail dining outlets across campus, vending machines, and convenience store grab-and-go meals!

All students are able to open up a Red Hawk Dollars account.