group of students in a lecture hall

General FAQS

What Are General Education Requirements?

General Education is the core of the educational experience at Montclair State University. The coursework includes several main areas of study: writing and speech, the arts and humanities, math, science and computer science, physical education and the social sciences. These courses combine the strength of the liberal arts curriculum for our students.

What Is a Major and a Minor

A major is a focused series of classes in a particular discipline and the main component of a student’s academic studies at Montclair State. Students must have and/or declare a major but, if desired, students can change majors throughout their time at Montclair State University.

A minor is optional and is an added focused series of classes in a particular discipline but requires fewer credits than a major. Minors can help expand the major course of study or focus on other areas of interest.

What GPA Must Students Maintain to Avoid Academic Probation?

All students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA to be in good academic standing. If a student’s cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, they will be placed on probation and have one semester to bring their cumulative GPA to a 2.0 or higher.

Where Can Students Go to Have Advanced Placement (AP) Or Transfer Credits Evaluated?

During the summer, students can bring a copy of their official transcripts or score sheet to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. After the student has begun their classes, AP scores can be brought to the Office of the Registrar. Please see the back cover page for important numbers.

Is My Student Required to Have Health Insurance and Is It Provided by the University?

Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time undergraduate and graduate students as defined by the University. A fee for coverage will be automatically included in the fall or spring bill for full-time students. If you’re already covered, you can opt out and waive these charges.

Where Is the Health Insurance Waiver Form?

The form is located at First Student.

  • Select the “Enroll/Waive Insurance” link.
  • Click on the link for Montclair State University-Full Time Students.
  • Select Montclair State University from the drop-down menu
  • Click continue.
  • Then, click the waiver link and begin the process.

Students must waive or enroll in the school-sponsored insurance plan each academic year by the deadline.

Where Can Questions About Billing and Payments Be Answered?

Once the student begins their career at Montclair State, any questions must be made by the student. They can find any answers by looking at the bill in NEST, our online system for maintenance of all academic, financial and personal information. Students can also call or visit Red Hawk Central for assistance with billing, refunds, financial aid disbursements, payment plans or assistance concerning received payments, admission deposits, room deposits and orientation fees.

What Does Safety in the Residence Halls Look Like?

The residence halls are equipped with several safety features such as the Card Access System – University ID cards are used to gain access to residence halls, but a key will still be required to enter their room. The Village has a separate card for access to the main doors. All halls have a 24 hour information desk at the front of their entrances. These desks can be used to assist students in identifying University staff who should be on the floor and to connect with other University safety personnel.

Emergency call boxes are located in some parking areas and at the entrance of many residence halls which will directly connect you to University Police. Finally, all halls have security patrols performed by the Residence Life staff twice each evening with a staff member on call to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day!

What Meal Plans Are Available for Students?

On-Campus Students: All students living in Blanton, Bohn, Freeman, Russ, Sinatra and the Heights are required to participate in a meal plan.

Commuter Students: If you are a student commuting to campus, you do not need to participate in a meal plan. You may enroll in any of the meal plans offered. Additionally, we have designed a set of voluntary meal plans to meet your needs. You may also open a Red Hawk Dollar account to pay for food and snacks.

All students are able to open up a Red Hawk Dollars account.